Monday, April 02, 2007

Audition: "Direct Energy" @ Craig Colvin Casting. This is when having an open schedule dedicated to my career comes in handy. This call came in @ 12:05pm and the appointment was 1:05pm. I guess, in a sense, part of my job is to simply be available for what might come up. It went well and I think I'm right for it.

Ya know I've been doing drop-offs since first arriving in Los Angeles almost 9 years ago. Even back when some would say it was a "waste of time and not a way to move your career forward". Even back when you could effectively do commercial drops; after all that's what led to booking a "Pizza Hut" national commercial which led to two additional "Pizza Hut" nationals. It also led to the "Honda" job that I shot 4 days here in LA and 4 additional days in Japan.

As a result of my methodology concerning drop-offs I find myself having to curtail the practice. Why? Because it's worked so well and in order to move forward in my career I need to alter my tactical approach. That doesn't mean I'll no longer do drops, of course I will, it just means I have to dig deeper and diversify my thought process.

Speaking of the "Honda/Japan" commercial I did almost 5 years ago. I decided to stop by the office of the producer in an attempt to reconnect. I didn't even know if they were still active or still at that address.

When I walked in the building I saw a drop box with the company name on it and I figured that was a good sign. So I go upstairs to the door of the suite and pause to get my head together. I needed to freshen my own memory of the experience; after all it was 5 years ago.

I couldn't see through the door because it was frosted; so I knocked.....nothing. Then I see a shadow walking towards the door; my heart was pumping, I didn’t know what to expect. The door slowly opens and it’s Ron, the producer that hired me 5 years ago. He seemed a little surprised to have a visitor; especially considering he had no idea who I was. I was prepared for that and had all the buzz words ready to quickly bring him up to speed. In an instant I was able to refresh his memory and, ironically, he said he had just worked with one of those producers just weeks ago.

I didn’t want to take up a lot of his time, so I gave him my headshot and was on my way. He then made sure my agent info was on it and said he would keep me in my mind if anything came up. Great! That’s all I was trying to accomplish. Sure, it’s a long shot, but I have to remember that I originally got the job 5 years ago while out doing drop-offs…I didn’t have an appointment. I still smile when I think that a drop-off lead to a trip to Japan.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: