Monday, July 23, 2007

The Business of the Business. That is what we actors are staring in the face right now. It’s tough for the rank and file performer and it doesn’t seem like it’s going to get any easier. One encouraging thing is that we are led by a more effective SAG leadership, in my opinion, than in recent years, but we are also dealing with huge, multi-billion dollar, international conglomerates. These conglomerates are trying their best to restructure the system of paying residuals - as in get rid of the system entirely.

With all of the contract negotiations going on now and into the near future it makes me wonder if I'll be able to continue making a living in the business - or if I want to. The question of "making a living" is an interesting one. Sure, I've made my sole living as an actor for several years and it feels great to present my tax preparer with the W-2's to prove it, but the uncertainty of earnings can be trying at times.

I've admittedly put a lot of pressure on myself for a long time and it may or may not be the best way to go about things. I know that a major part of it is that I'm not crazy about living in Los Angeles. LA has been very good to me, but living here has turned into quite the challenge - daily.

What I need to do is listen to more music and less talk radio, LOL! Some Led Zeppelin, Teena Marie, Alanis Morisette, Pat Benatar, Mariah Carey, Jay-Z, Gangstarr, Jamie Green or Lynyrd Skynyrd definitely gets my spirit moving. I love music, but I have a need to know what is going on around me – politics, local living, education, business, real estate – reality, and frankly it’s depressing in many ways, but I’m addicted to it. So I’m trying to do less AM Talk and more music and National Public Radio these days. I’m an information junkie and I have to get my fix, but too much NPR gets to me after a while too. The thing is that I’m so curious about so many things – it’s a problem. I think I'm due for some restructuring in some areas.

Usually, when I return from my summer sabbatical I'm eager to get back in the rat race. Not so much this time; I hadn't even been back in Los Angeles 24 hours when I had the feeling that I wanted to be somewhere else other than LA. I've thought long and hard about how I can improve my outlook about being here and I think I have some ideas.

Crazy enough, sometimes I think it would be easier to leave LA if I didn't have the foundation that I do concerning my acting career. I've made a bit of headway and have a solid team that believes in me - I'd be silly to leave and divest in what I've worked so hard to build. There's also the fact that I absolutely love working as an actor and the entire process of making films, TV shows, commercials, etc. - plus, being on set is a great, magical feeling.

I just wanna work and make a decent living; I don't dream about "blowin' up", "setting it off" or having people scream my name while crossing the street or shopping at the 99 Cents Only store. Although I think I would handle that stuff responsibly I'd rather ride my dirtbike or go skiing with my family. So, I have a plan to shake things up a bit.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: