Saturday, July 07, 2007

Okay, so I agree to go out in the kayak with my neighbor Ryan again. This time we go in much more open water; I felt I could handle it....until I actually saw it. For a second I was wondering what the heck I was getting myself into; then I rationally reasoned that Ryan must have confidence in his skills or he wouldn't be out here either.


I know it looks calm, but 5 minutes before
this it was CRAZY!!!! LOL!
Somehow the 2-man kayak felt much smaller than it did last week in the calm inlet. So we launch the vessel and are paddling furiously to get through the current and a wave crashes over the bow of the kayak getting me soaked. There was enough water in the vessel that Ryan had to scoop some of it out. This was within 2 minutes of getting in the water! I’m wondering what the heck I’ve done in being out there in the first place, but tried to be cool about it. Actually, it felt good to risk things a little – kind of like living in Los Angeles – what the heck was I thinking….

Ryan and Flounder

Anyway, we caught some fish, but let them go to live another day. I hooked a skate which is a stingray-like creature; that thing put up the fight of his/her life...and won. It eventually broke my fishing line and got away; which was good because when I saw it at the surface and how powerful it was I didn’t want no parts of it.

Life Jacket - CHECK!

Afterwards we went to another spot and damn near got stuck because the tide was still going out. At times we were in 4-5 inches of water and the kayak was scraping the bottom. Ryan had to get out and actually push me into deeper water. You gotta understand that we were back in like a marsh area – just us two – and sun was going down. It was a little spooky to say the least. I thought Jason from Friday the 13th was going to show up next. I was definitely out of my element, but it was good time and I learned a lot.

No comments: