Thursday, August 02, 2007

Audition: "McDonald's" @ Jessica J. Casting. I'm perfect for it and it went perfectly. I've never done a "Mickey D's" spot before.

What to do, what to do... The more I read about the state of the entertainment industry the more I feel I need to prepare for a stormy road ahead.

There is constant talk of a possible work stoppage for us actors, writers and/or directors over the next year or so. As a result the studios/networks are stockpiling content so they won't get caught looking the other way if there is an actual halt in production. I don't want to get caught looking the other way either.

I don't know what to think. Will there be a strike or strikes? It could come close for any or all of the 3 Guilds. I'd like to think that none of the parties involved, WGA, SAG or PGA, want to see a work stoppage, but I went through the 2000 6-month commercial strike so I know that it can actually happen. That work stoppage definitely had an effect on my financial bottom line. I wasn't nearly as informed then as I am now and I don't wanna get "caught out there" again.

What I do feel strongly about is this. There will be at least a de facto strike. Overall 2007 2nd quarter Film/TV production was up 21% over the same period in 2006. Even if there isn't an actual work stoppage, most likely, there will be a slowdown because so much product will be on the shelves.

....hmm....

I don't wanna rely on residuals - they've been good to me over the years, but I can't live on them forever.

So that leaves me trying to beat "reality" to the punch...maybe a "job job" is in my future....perhaps. It's not the worse thing in the world, but my palms are sweating just thinking about it. I haven't applied for a job in almost 10 years – well, other than auditioning for TV/Film and commercials, etc. It could be exciting though; I loved everyday of my job in New York waiting tables. Well, maybe not everyday, but 90% of it.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: