Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Audition: “Summer’s Eve” @ Lien/Cowan Casting. OMG! This went really, really well. My “wife” in the spot was stunning to say the least. Before we auditioned we made some small talk in the lobby. Then the session runner brought me, her and the others in for a group explanation.

So when it was our turn to audition, we were digitally photographed, slated our names and ACTION! I was sitting in a chair and “Ms. Thang” turned it ON! I felt her hands on my shoulders and damn-near went numb, LOL! In the spot she’s trying to convince me to get changed and ready to leave so she kneels down and whispers “sweet nothings” in my ear. I turned my head to look in her eyes and felt that I could look at her for the rest-of-my-life. What’s my line? I DON’T KNOW! I didn’t have any scripted lines I just responded to the …feeling. That happened to me once before on a shoot. Yeah….and that was just the first part.

The second part was a different set-up, but the same type of action. How many times have I fallen in love at an audition? I don’t know. Not too many times, but “Ms. Thang” worked it this morning and was really sweet, polite and funny to boot.

ADR "Bones". Great! I guess this means I’ll be in the final edit of the show, plus I’ll get another payment for my time. I arrived at the scoring stage at FOX studios right on time to watch the previous actor match his dialogue. While I was waiting one of the series regulars, Michaela Conlin, arrived for her ADR session as well. Since she was still shooting I let her go first so she could get back to set – we each only had one line to do. Plus I was chatting with the ADR Engineer about Post Production. He was explaining a ton of stuff about the process.

So, in flash, Michaela was finished and I stepped on the stage. They gave me the line of dialogue and then played it. It was great to see my close-up on the big screen – yeah! They played it a couple of times so I could match the intensity of the dialogue.

So now we were ready to record. Something that works for me when I do looping is to NOT look at the screen; just listen to the 3 beeps. The beeps came in and BAM!!! I hit it...there was silence from the engineer next to me. He looked back to the engineer in the control room and said “That was perfect!” They both looked at me like I was a genius. In reality, I was just lucky. I just happened to nail that one. It was so perfect that we almost didn’t even do a second one. We did decide to do a second and it was almost as good. He asked me if I was in a loop group. I said “no” and that are like a best kept secret. But I asked him if he knew of any connections to them. I gave him my card just in case. So I signed out and headed straight back to the Head engineer to continue our conversation about “The Process”.

He showed me a bunch of other stuff about how the computers work and I, being the curious one that I am, knew enough relevant questions to show him that I was really interested. I gotta tell ya, I was freakin giddy about hearing what he was telling me. I think I’d LOVE post-production work. So he gave me his card and invited me to come back to the studio if I wanted to learn more. I gave him my card as well. He’s extremely accomplished and has worked on well over 100 TV and Film projects. I think I’m gonna check him out and learn some more about it.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: