Thursday, October 18, 2007

I've been officially consulting for just over a year now and it's been pretty cool. I've met a lot of talented, motivated, charismatic performers that are looking for alternative ways to move forward in their careers. I've even run into a few of them at auditions...for the same role I was reading for....BACK OFF!!! j/k.

What I really enjoy about consulting on "The Business of the Acting Business" is that I truly feel I have something to offer actors who are looking for a better understanding of how things operate in Hollywood. The coolest thing has been truly having a fresh approach that is always evolving. Some may say it’s “thinking outside the box". I say, "What box? I ain't got no stinkin’ box”. When most are looking left; I'm looking right. For some reason my natural way of thinking is to start from the opposite end of the masses and work backward. I don’t know where that started but I’ve been wired that way for as long as I can remember – for better or for worse.

The hard part about consulting is that I want all of the great things that have happened for me to happen for my clients...right away. I know that isn't realistic, but I also know that some of them will rise to heights I can only dream of.

I had a great consultation session with a young lady early in the year. She had already been in Los Angeles for several years with typical, not-so-effective representation. This happens a lot; actors arrive from other markets and float around for 2-4 years before realizing that they are not really in the game. Then, even at that point, it’s not easy to get in the game and off the sidelines.

Funny enough, her mom, who is out of state, had found my website and suggested that she book a session with me. So we sat down and I got her story of what had been happening in career, how she got to where she was, what she had done, who she knew, what she wanted to do, etc. I relayed what steps I thought she should take and she seemed to be willing to give my thoughts a try.

I have to say that even though I had never seen her work I had a great feeling about her – her confidence was beyond her young years. Not in an arrogant way, just in an “I’m really ready to do this” way. If she followed one particular suggestion I felt that we might cross paths again; if not I wished her the best. She seemed very pleased after our one hour pow-wow and I said to her “today is the first day of the rest of your career”.

Over the next several weeks she stayed in contact and had questions about some of the suggestions we talked about. I made it clear to her that it was “imperative” that her representation situation be fixed and that she had to let people know that she existed in the TV/Film world of casting. She had a few credits; so she wasn’t at all totally green, she just needed to fully get on the playing field. I know; easier said than done. She is also looking forward to performing in commercials and I particularly liked her attitude about them.

She is a young woman who can play even younger and youth will almost always be an edge in this town. At the same time, women in general, have a shorter window of opportunity so this time is of “vital importance” in a career sense.

So weeks turned into months and every time we spoke she was “trying to make something happen”. She used my name at my commercial agency and they requested her tape, but it didn’t go any further after it was determined that she’d be a direct conflict with an existing client.

I was suggesting other agency names that I thought might be worth a try commercially and theatrically with no success. I’m not totally up the “who is who” in the agent sector because I’ve been with the same agents since arriving in Los Angeles and have never been in the hunt. Then about a month a half ago my theatrical agency was looking for interns and I suggested she apply. It wasn’t a meeting, but it could at least get her in the door and I felt that if they met her they would see the potential I saw. I’ve met so many with potential, but her “ace in the hole” was her youth and being able to play younger. That coupled with maturity, some credits, being a SAG member and an interesting look and energy. If any one of those ingredients weren’t in place it would have greatly changed things from my perspective. At the very least interning would give her a birds-eye view into how a theatrical agency like SCAW operates.

By the time she called about the internship the positions were already filled, but they said they would put her on the list. Then a couple of weeks later the agency called and asked if she was still available to intern. She kept me posted every step of the way, which was key, on what was going on and once while we were talking on the phone my agent called to give me an appointment. I let it go to voicemail, but when I called back to confirmed the appointment I did the unthinkable.

I pitched her to my agent.

I only say “unthinkable” because I have so much respect for what my agents do and they have the same respect for my professionalism as a client. This young lady would be representing me and my taste and I don’t take that lightly. Sure, many actors have used my name in mailings to my agents over the years, but this was different.

It was totally unrehearsed and not easy, because I had to explain a name change and a hair color change that very much conflicted with the photo on the imdb. My agent asked for her name; I gave her both names and she wrote it down. The last thing you want is a dirty, murky pitch, but I spoke fast and clear to keep her interested. The funny thing is that Caleigh immediately responded to her name; she liked the ring of it. But I figured that she wrote it on a post-it or something and I didn’t want it to get buried or lost and lose the energy of the pitch.

So right away when I confirmed that I received the sides for my audition I included the young actors’ imdb listing so Caleigh could simply click on it. Caleigh responded within minutes that she may be a conflict, but she’d think about it. She was saying that she’d be a conflict because she was a blonde in the imdb photo, but now she’s red-head.

I knew that would happen and I was ready.

I responded right back that she doesn’t look like the photo on the imdb listing anymore and actually has an entirely different look and feel as a red-head. Caleigh responded back and asked if I had a photo of her with the current hair color. I said the photo will be dropped by the office tomorrow morning.

Cool, she might be interested.

Back in the huddle with the young actress we discussed how to move forward. Sure, I could have just forwarded her Actor Access profile to my agent, but I wanted the young actress to go to the office in 3-D. Plus, I wanted her resume to look different. Because I knew that if Caleigh happened to be in the lobby and saw her energy and look she’d be interested in knowing more about her – at least I thought so. At this point, I’m in neck deep trying to hook this up and feeling quite anxious about it. I’ve never done this before.

So the next morning the young actress drops her package by the office – including her demo reel. She doesn’t see Caleigh. After my audition I called Caleigh to tell her how it went and after discussing that she says, “Oh my God, you’re friend is adorable. I love her hair, she does look totally different. I’m gonna watch her reel during lunch”.

YES!!!

I call the young actress and we both are ecstatic. I caution her that this may not go much further, but already she likes your name, hair color and vibe/feel, plus I think she respects my opinion.

Boom! The next day the young actress got an email for an appointment. The day and time were set, but then a few days later it was changed because 1 of the 3 agents wouldn’t have been able to make it. I thought that was good news because it showed me that Caleigh wanted everyone to meet her.

So I and the young actress discussed a bit about what she might expect when she arrives, which agent was which and what they looked like. The meeting was at 4pm and by 4:12pm it was over and she was already on the phone with me. “Wow, that was quick”, I thought. I could hear in her voice that she didn’t feel so great about the meeting because it went so quick and they didn’t really leave her with much to get a feel of where she stood. No “Call us Monday afternoon” or “We’ll be in touch”. She just basically said “Thanks and have a good weekend”.

…tick-tock-tick-tock…

I painted some scenarios of what it could mean from “you’re a direct conflict” to “we like her and wanna sign her; there’s no reason to talk for 30 minutes if we already know what we’re gonna do”. So this was Friday evening and we were both prepared for the waiting game – over the weekend. Admittedly, we both were a little deflated.

I didn’t really know what to make of it because it was kind of foreign territory for me, but I feel that this young lady is a “perfect storm” waiting to happen. I went back in my head, point-by-point, and asked myself why I went out on a limb for her. Again, it all made sense to me – it all added up. If any one of those elements were missing the pitch probably wouldn’t have happened – at least not from me.

The young actress called me 90 minutes later with the message from the agency that said, “Xxxxx we all think you’re adorable and would love to represent you….”

YES!!!!!!!!!!

The message had been sent shortly after she left the office. So, yeah they made their decision right away and didn't need too much convincing. I felt they were already 75-85% of the way before they even met her in 3-D. She had been pitched by a respected client, Caleigh liked her name, her hair choice, her demo reel, her energy all before meeting her in the flesh. It all made sense.

That was great to hear we are both really excited about her future. I am so proud of her for hanging in there and participating in her success. I have to say that if she didn’t pursue the internship I don’t think I would have pitched her. That may sound weird, but I know how my mind works. In hindsight she was being tested by me, but even I didn’t know it. I can only see the tests by looking back; I never saw it looking forward.

So needless to say, we’ve been in contact everyday since the great news through the transition from the old agent to the new one and exciting things are already happening. Again, my name and taste is on the line and, thus far, she’s making me proud. Mostly, it’s that there are things she doesn’t know and/or hasn’t experienced yet and she won’t hesitate to ask for help. I really have a great feeling about this.

It almost makes me feel that I have a little influence in this town, but I’m not that silly…

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: