Tuesday, October 02, 2007

This will be probably sound weird, but it’s always exciting to NOT have any auditions for an extended period of time. I look at it as the calm before the storm – maybe it’s a coping method! It’s been almost 3 weeks since my last commercial audition which is an eternity for me, but I always know that my agents @ KSA are doing their best. Honestly, I wish I “brought home the bacon“ more often for them because they definitely get me in the room plenty.

This morning I did a drop-off and put it directly in the hand of the casting associate/assistant. It’s sometimes weird because I’ve met so many people in casting over the years, but I can’t possibly remember all of them. So I’ll usually check my records before going to do a drop so I have an idea who I might run into. I prefer not to see anybody because I’m “Stealthman! doing drop-offs with stealth-like precision”. Anyway, this particular casting professional had moved from another office I’m familiar with to this office so I wasn’t expecting to see her and I couldn’t remember where I knew her from. It was a little awkward but I think I covered myself pretty well. She was really nice………and really hot!

Audition: "NFL Network" Promo @ Type Casting. On my way to this audition I get a call for another commercial audition later today on the other side of town in Studio City – cool! The audition had sides with several characters in the scene just like a theatrical audition and it went great. It’s for like 8 promo spots and the actual casting director was in the room. So hopefully this will put me on his radar and I’ll start getting called in more often from this office. Callbacks are this afternoon and I’m confident that I’ll be getting one.

Audition: "Arby's" @ Beth Holmes Casting. I had to be here before 1pm and I made it right on time. Fun spot, I’m perfect for it. Me and the other 3 guys really hit it off so hopefully some of that magic made it on the tape. One of the guys had locked himself out of his apartment in Hollywood and had to take a cab there so I gave him a ride home.

It was interesting to hear his story. I love hearing other actors’ stories and perspectives on the business. On the one hand I love hearing them because I’m nosy, curious and fascinated by how people get to where there are – no matter where that is. On the other hand it shows how different my perspective is and how instrumental it has been in my journey. I’m kinda crazy…for better or worse.

As soon as I left the audition I got the message saying I have a callback for the “NFL Network” promo I went on this morning – YES!

Callback: "NFL Network" @ Type Casting. So we arrive and I get the news that everything is totally different from the original audition. Different script, different role, different attitude, but they kept calling my character by the same name from the first audition, which was a little confusing. I decided to just kinda wing it and not worry too much – ya know, keep it fresh, lol!

So it was taking a while before they got started and I had 48 minutes on my parking meter. …tick-tock-tick-tock… So right as I was going to leave to feed the meter another casting director came out and announced that “They tow after 4pm on the North side of the street!” Right then they called my name to go in the room. I couldn’t even think! I CANNOT have my car towed. Nope, it’s not an option.

I walk in the room having absolutely no idea what was going on – AT ALL. My mind is in a fog because I wanna do well, but I’m thinking my car is being ticketed and towed. I wasn’t familiar with this part of West LA so I didn’t know if I was really in danger or not.

I hadn’t gone in for this character before and they didn’t explain ANYTHING – so I just went with it. It was confusing because it seemed like one of the other actors was reading some of my lines. The set up was we were in a bar looking at hot, sexy, sweet-smelling NFL cheerleaders on a laptop and “Aker” was one of the cheerleaders favorite player. So when the “hot, tall, sweet-smelling waitress” who was also auditioning asked “how many field goals has Aker kicked this season?” I just said “like 300”. The entire room erupted in laughter because if you know anything about football you know that kicking 300 field goals in a season is ridiculous – unless you’re in a commercial callback and the only thing on your mind is whether or not your car is being towed.

So they brought me up to speed for the second take and we did it again and that was that. I left the room and sprinted to my car 50 minutes and 30 seconds after putting 48 minutes on the meter. On my way there another actor who had gone to check on his car was sad to find that it had already been towed. As I’m running down the street I get a sinking feeling that this isn’t going to end well because I’m not seeing my car – hearbeat-heartbeat……tick-tock-tick-tock – it was further down than I thought – but safe and without a parking citation.

What a day. I went from Miracle Mile up to Hollywood for a drop-off, back to West LA for an audition, over to Studio City for another audition, returned to West LA for the callback and now to North Hollywood for a workshop – a day in the life…

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

1 comment:

Kayla's_Mommy said...

You had my heart racing! I'm glad your car was alright. Whew!