Monday, December 31, 2007

Finally, it’s the martini shot - the last shot of the day.

Often times I hear “man, I can’t believe the year is over; it flew by!” I know I’ve said that in the past, but for me, this year didn’t go all that fast. I guess because I wasn’t having as much fun as usual; I had to brainstorm and dig deeper. Not as much fun, but I did a lot of work to my infrastructure – personally and professionally. I am such the work in progress and I’m very happy with where I’m headed.

For the last 6 or 7 years I’ve been home in Virginia Beach with family during the Christmas Holidays and New Years. Last year specifically was quite the interesting one – I’ve got photos to prove it! This year it’s New Year’s Eve and I’m home alone and I think it’s the best place to be. It wasn’t in the cards for me to go home this year and I’m really proud of the fact that I didn’t just go anyway – it just wasn’t the right thing to do. I actually went to sleep about 10pm, but my phone starting ringing with New Year’s wishes and I couldn’t get back to sleep so I went for a bike ride up to the Sunset strip around 12:30am. Looking back, I can’t believe I actually used to work up there 5-6 nights/mornings a week. Times change I guess.

Sure I missed my family, but I’ve spent about 6 weeks a year at home for the last several years and I knew eventually something would change. I’m quite proud of being able to take that much time off as an actor and the fact that I’m smart enough to do it. I NEED my time away to detox from LA. I knew when I was home this past Summer that there was a good chance I wouldn’t make it home this holiday season. With all of the potential turmoil in the business i.e. WGA, DGA, SAG/AFTRA contract expirations I felt it was smart to play things “close to the vest”. That in itself makes me feel great. Why? Well, it solidifies the fact that this is my career. These negotiations, or lack of, affect me directly. This is what I do for a living – I have the scars to prove it!

One of the benefits of not going home was not having the anxiety of wondering if I was going to have to change plane tickets in case of booking a job. I’ve had that happen a few times and it’s nerve racking and expensive. I normally would have been flying during the time that the “WaMu” commercials were shooting. Things work out the way they are supposed to – even if we don’t like it.

So to that I say CUT! Check the gate! Gate’s Clear! That’s a wrap on Stephon!

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

No comments: