Friday, December 14, 2007

Okay so today is the day I should find out whether I’m book or not on the “WaMu” commercial. The “Texas Lottery” one may be a couple of more days since it doesn’t start shooting until later next week.

I felt really good about how it went yesterday so hopefully I won’t get that call that says, “Sorry Stephon, but you’ve been released from XXXX. We’ll get’em next time”. Do you have any idea how many times I’ve gotten that call? Too many times, but I remain positive that I’ll strike again.

So at 10:51 this morning my cell phone rings the familiar “commercial agency ringtone” which is the UB40 classic “Red Red Wine”. The ringer means celebration to me in the upbeat world of commercials…and, of course, my love of red wine. Nothing like a great bottle of Merlot with dinner. Right?

By contrast my “theatrical agency ringtone” is “Enter Sandman” by Metallica signifying the potential drama of the theatrical world. I love that song; especially the drums. Another favorite for a ringtone is Mariah Carey’s “We Belong Together”. I don’t really have a place for it right now – might have to work on that, plus I don’t pay for ringtones.

So the song “red red wine” finishes playing and I retrieve the voicemail expecting the “yay” or “nay”. I get neither. What I get is the news that they want to see me a third time – today, in a couple of hours. Cool. I’ll be ready.

So, again, I decided to walk to the casting office instead of driving. This time I walked with the spirit of a dancer. I wish I could have seen my version of carrying myself like a dancer. I’m sure it was funny because I don’t have the poise and posture of a dancer. BUT I can fake it - sorta.

I arrive at the casting facility and there are only 3 actors there – including me...and one of them was a woman. It was her 4th time auditioning. The way it looked to me was that it was down to me and the other guy for the husband role – at least that’s what I thought. The session director had notes for he and I; I’m assuming they were from the director. They weren’t notes on the casting log; they were written on lined paper in pencil. For some reason that was comforting to me.

Actually, there are two directors on this spot. The notes for the other actor were about the scene part and my notes were to “have more fun” on the dance part. I could immediately see that the other actor was a much better dancer than I.

He went in first and I practiced “having more fun” by myself in the lobby. I guess you could say I practiced “Dancing With Myself”. After a while it was my turn and I was, at least, ready to have fun, but I’m just not that good of a dancer.

No one from the creative team was in attendance; it was just the session director, my partner and myself.

Thankfully, “the wife” was nice, willing and very patient with me. Also, the session director was a former dancer and able to give me tips too.

…forgive me, but I’m leaving some details out…

The phone rang about three times while we were running through it before taping the performance; that gave me more time to practice. Then we put it on tape twice. From the reactions from the session director it seemed he was really happy with the results.

I’m not sure if the creative team were watching live via some connection. I don’t think so, but you never know. But I’ll tell you this, I got word I was booked from the casting office within 60 seconds of finishing the audition. Seriously, maybe 45 seconds.

…leaving out a little more…

So I walked home feeling really great. I would’ve felt great anyway, because I did the best I could. The bigger reason I felt great is that the main reason I booked is because of the new strategies I’m implementing. The drop-off thing was phenomenal for me, but I needed to shift things in order to move forward. I’ll still do drops, but they’ll play a different role. And get this, I wasn’t even submitted on this – according to the notice I was 3 inches to tall.

Forty-five minutes later my agent called with the official booking. First, I find out that this booking effectively takes me out of the running for the “Texas Lottery” spot because “WaMu” added the extra day. Honestly, the “WaMu” job has much more potential financially and exposure-wise. Nevertheless, I was really hoping to go to Dallas and also really wanted to finally book a job at Craig Colvin’s office, but it wasn’t meant to be – this time. I also really wanted to finally book a job at Craig Colvin’s office.

Funny, I was just talking about being “on hold” vs. being “on avail”. If I was “on hold” for “Texas Lottery” it could have been a very different ending to this story.

Oh yeah, something else she told me was that it’s 2 commercials I am booked on for “WaMu”. I have no idea what the other one is.

This is the way my new plan is supposed to work “in theory”, but it’s even surreal to me that I’ve already seen concrete results. I’m laying the groundwork for ’08. Bring it.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

3 comments:

Nicole J. Butler said...

CONGRATULATIONS Stephon!!

This is a great way to go into the holiday season (or anytime, really). I can picture you doing the "Leroy from "Fame"" walk/ dance to your audition.

Do your thing. I'm happy for you.

--Nicole

P.S. - My ringtones for my 2 agents and my manager are Dave Chappelle's "I'm rich bee-yotch!" (Whatever gets ya goin', right?)

Anonymous said...

Hey, Stephon,

It's Daniel from Chicago. I met you at that WAMU audition and we talked for a while. I could be a hater, 'cause you booked the spot and I didn't, but since you were such a nice guy I can do nothing but be glad for and with you. But also, this new plan of yours, this strategy you mentioned -- please, give more details. I'd love to utilize it in my approach -- and thus bump into a brother on more auditions (some of which, I'll actually book!). I wish you continued success, my man -- I really do. Trust that you are an inspiration for so many of us out here. And if you continue to keep it interesting, I'll continue to read your blog.

Daniel

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks for the congrats you two!

Nicole! That was funny. Love that ringtone. I don't know if I would've wanted to see my walk/dance/skip/pimp slide...frightening.

Daniel, it was a complete pleasure to meet you at the callback and thanks again for the good wishes and support.

As far as the new plan goes? It's a living breathing thing with me and it's hard to actually put into words because it's so laced with nuances.

But the part of that isn't new to me is having an insane understanding of the casting process. Then tailoring that to commercials, TV or Film, etc.

Two majors things for me in auditioning is listening - really listening and resisting the temptation to act. Often times, as actors we "need" to "do something".

Hope that helps.

Have a great weekend!

Stephon