Thursday, January 17, 2008

I spent a little time on the WGA strike line @ Warner Bros. this afternoon and for the first time had someone shoot 'da finga' at me. It's weird because when a driver blares their horn it's kind of an automatic response to wave your sign in appreciation. Well this guy leaving the parking structure beeped his horn, I waved my sign and he flipped me off. What's up with that?! No seriously, I understand that not everyone agrees with the writers and their/our plight, but they/we have to do what they/we have to do.

I hope things get resolved very soon and we may be on the way to that since, earlier today, the DGA and AMPTP struck a tentative deal. I read some of points of the deal and I'm not convinced it's a great deal. A good deal maybe, maybe 'not so much' - I'm thinking 'not so much'. I just feel that at the end of the day the AMPTP is going to offer the deal that is going work best for their bottom line and the problem is that the studios/networks are collectively powerful enough to change the model to make the deal work for them…it's not about sharing…at all.

Audition: "Motel 6" @ Francene Selkirk Casting. As I'm on my way to this appointment I receive a call from my agency informing me that there's "police activity" in the area and that there may be street closures.

After having to make a couple of U-turns I finally get there and parked. Up ahead and across the street I could see 8-10 people looking through a fence. When I moved to LA I used to do CD Workshops in that very same area where they were looking so I knew where they were looking, but I couldn't imagine what they were looking at.

As I got closer I could see that that "the people" where actually photographers with very expensive looking cameras. All this time I was on the phone talking to one of my younger brothers, Todd, and I said; "Geez, I wonder what's going on". Then I chuckled and said maybe it's Britney Spears".

As I got closer and could see around the back of the building I saw the familiar huge, black celebrity SUV. "Maybe it really was Britney Spears". So I watched it for a moment; then a few of the photographers started running to where I was. Right then I saw who all the fuss was about. It was Lindsay Lohan.

She walked over to the SUV with two other young women, dealt with the driver, then scurried off to another vehicle; a sleek, black sports car. It was crazy! Photographers were climbing fences in a mad rush trying to get her photo. Does anyone really want that? I could not imagine having people follow me around in that manner. It just confirms even more why I have little interest in "blowing up". I just want to work and build a career. That stuff makes me nervous.

Anyway, after all of that I went to my audition and it went great! I was portraying the father of two young sons "being boys" at full volume in the back seat while I drove the car. I had a great time with them and I really look forward to getting married and having kids of my own.

Later -

Ugh! I knew it! I had a feeling this was going to happen - again. This evening I was skateboarding to my car and I broke my rule of not carrying expensive, breakable electronics in my hand. Why is that a rule? Because I "know" I'm going to fall while skateboarding. It seems simple right? Just stop skateboarding - especially at my age. I can't. It's just the way I'm wired and I'm a little bit of a risk-taker.

Anyway, since I was breaking the rule of having the breakable, expensive, electronic stuff (Bluetooth earpiece, cell phone, PDA) in my hands I decided to skate relatively slow; too slow in fact. As I was skating "slowly" there was a relatively small Palm tree branch in the street in my path. I saw it, but I was concentrating on the cars up ahead that I was going to weave through. This is where the fun starts. I went between the cars and was heading across the street. That is when "Palm tree Paul" turned my life upside down - b:/©h ass!

The front wheels of my skateboard collided with the moustache of Palm tree Paul. First, the skateboard stopped, I went airborne, the skateboard went backward and Palm tree Paul laughed his ass off.

So there I am about 3 feet off the ground - horizontal - with hundreds of dollars of electronics in my hand. In a split second I decided to continue the forward momentum, flip and land on my back. Gotta protect the jewels; thankfully I was wearing my “The Fonz” inspired leather jacket! I got up without missing a beat hoping my skateboard didn’t get destroyed in traffic. It went under a car and into the water-filled gutter – nasty, but in tact.

It's funny because, of the 4 or 5 times I've fallen, it's always the same way. I wish I could see it on tape...I wonder how long it'll be before I bite the dust again.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

1 comment:

Nicole J. Butler said...

Do I see "stunt man" in your future?

I don't blame you though. I am serious about my consume electronics.

--Nicole

P.S. Can't believe that dude honked his horn just to give you the finger. Takes all types, I guess.