Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Audition: "NBA Promo" @ Deborah Kurtz Casting. This was a voiceover and it went great! The session director seemed very happy with my work. I went in and used my strategy of "stealing a rehearsal" and I felt I delivered the goods perfectly. I don't know if I'll go any further in the process, but I felt great about what I left in the room.

I attended another SAG meeting tonight and I’m happy to report that many more actors were in attendance than normal. I’m not sure why, but whatever the reason it was great to see. The display of solidarity with the WGA that I witnessed on the strike lines is of vital importance for the future of our guild. Hopefully, in the years to come SAG and the WGA can nurture a better relationship with the DGA and other labor organizations. I can tell you that I feel much more kinship with writers than I ever have in the past. Even though I’m not thrilled with the WGA deal I don’t think they would have gotten what they did without the support of SAG. I’m proud to have been part of the united front in the fight.

I don’t know how these upcoming negotiations are going to play out, but I do feel that it’s going to become even more difficult to make a living as a performer. For some it will be the difference between a career and a hobby. Others will leave the business altogether and another segment will continue to move forward and build their careers. I’m going to fight to stay in the latter group – at least for the time being.

I’m really thankful that I have as many years as I do in the game and that I’ve remained faithful to my quest of building my foundation, but I cannot rest on it. I have to stay out in the field on the grind, but also develop new strategies. I have to learn how to network and “work the room”. Don’t get me wrong I know how to handle my business with the best of them, but the whole being out “rubbing shoulders” thing is completely foreign to me; it just doesn’t feel real. I don’t have that gift of being able to be smooth about it. I’ve seen others do it and do it well, but it’s just not one of my gifts. Fortunately, I’ve known from day one that that was a weak point for me so I’ve always made up for it in other ways.
http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

SF,
Have read your blog for some time with great interest. If you really want to pick up your netowrking game, get yourself a copy of the book, "Never Eat Alone" by Keith Ferrazzi. Enjoy and good luck
~Terry

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Terry,

Thanks for the note; I'll have to take a look at that book. I think the real question is "Do I really wanna get better at networking or do I just wanna talk about it?"

I'll take a look though.

Thanks!

Stephon