Thursday, February 21, 2008

The WGA strike is over and TV production is gearing back up in LA so I’m on the trail of dropping off photos to hopefully drum up some activity. There’s no time to waste because there’s a chance that another work stoppage could be on the horizon – this time by the Screen Actor’s Guild. I hope the SAG leaders are able to negotiate a better deal without having to strike, but you never know. I’m not a big a fan of the new WGA deal and I don’t think the SAG leadership is either. Plus, the SAG commercial contract expires at the end of October so I have to keep it moving.

I remember the days when I loved doing drop-offs. That time has changed. I don’t particularly love doing them anymore; especially in certain areas of town, namely Century City and Beverly Hills. The parking situation is enough to drive me crazy. It would be much easier if I had someone to sit in the car while I did the drops or vice-versa, but I’m not convinced that easier would be better. Even though it’s more work I much prefer to be the lone wolf and do my drops alone. I think I get more done that way and I don’t have to explain my rationale and trust me, my rationale runs in circles and can be quite confusing – even to me.

This afternoon I found myself trying to find a particular film casting office. I had to make a couple of U-turns, but I finally tracked it down. Then I couldn’t find anywhere to park. I was so close to just saying “forget it” and crossing it off of my list, but I couldn’t justify it. I was just being a sissy. I ended up having to park 4 blocks away. So I put on my iPod with an interesting podcast playing and made the trek to the office building.

I walked in the parking garage and saw the security guard; he asked if he could help me. I told him I wanted to drop a photo to the casting office. He hesitated and asked if I had an appointment. I told him no. I like to keep it on the up and up and not say I have an appointment if I don’t, in fact, have one. He reluctantly had me sign the log book and there was an uncomfortable moment. I wasn’t sure exactly why he was reluctant, but I remained respectful. We had a few words and told him it was no big deal and that I didn’t want to get him in trouble or anything like that. So he began to explain how to get to the office and then another employee appeared and the security guard asked him to take me up there.

While I was walking towards the elevators I saw the drop-off boxes for two projects they are currently casting and told them I preferred to just leave them there. The other employee said, “no, it’s cool, I’ll walk you up there”. I hesitated and then said “okay”. The young employee asked me which project I was dropping a photo for while waiting for the elevator to arrive. To be honest, I didn’t really know, I just wanted to get my photo in a box and bounce. He told me what type of actors had been coming in and out earlier in the day. The actors described were very different than me. At that moment another person needed his assistance right away and he sent me up the elevator alone and told me where to go. I went up, exited on the proper floor and then stopped in my tracks. It didn’t feel right. I couldn’t let those guys get me off of my game. They were just being nice and I appreciated it, but the set-up wasn’t right. I didn’t want to walk through the door to casting office for some reason…and I didn’t. I went back down the elevator and put them in the box. I thanked the two guys and briefly explained my decision and was on my way.

My next stop was at an office that I have been dropping off at for years and have never gotten an appointment. They are a very busy office too; I’ve even discussed with my agent. What she explained made sense, but I’ll keep trying.

Anyway, I went up the elevator and paused outside the door to make sure I “had all my ducks in a row”. I never know exactly what I’m going to walk into so I have to be prepared for a multitude of scenarios. The assistant asked what project I was dropping for, but I didn’t know, so she suggested one and told me the role. I thought that was really nice of her. So I’ll let my agent know and maybe, just maybe, I’ll finally get to read for something at that office.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

No comments: