Sunday, May 25, 2008

It is worth it? …hmmm. It’s definitely been worth it, I’ve had a great, rewarding journey thus far. But is it worth it moving forward? I don’t know. I’m at a crossroad…I think.

I’m speaking of continuing on this acting journey. I’m just not sure how much more I’m willing to do. I’m not really close to “hanging it up” just yet, but honestly it crosses my mind…quite often actually. That’s not anything new; I’ve had those thoughts for years. I'm just venting-I've worked too hard, too smart for too long to give up...I think.

These feelings will probably subside once these SAG-AMPTP–AFTRA negotiations are over. It would be so much easier if I could just ignore the state of the business and what we are up against. Many actors do just that and I understand why. Who wants to really read all that literature that comes in the mail from the guild? Who wants to attend the meetings? It’s not fun or interesting to most, but our future as performers depends on it.

The way I look at it is that we actors didn’t always get residuals or have decent wages & working conditions. They weren’t given to us by the studios without a fight and trust me at every negotiation the studios are trying to minimize those benefits. Somebody stood up a long time ago to fight for the benefits that I now get and I have to do my part to help for the people who will come after me. No, I’m not on the Board of Directors of SAG doing the really heavy lifting, but I like to call myself “a good soldier” who can and does enlighten my fellow performers at every chance I get. Sure, I probably take it a little too seriously, but it’s difficult for me to just think everything is going to be okay…it’s only my future.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

No comments: