Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Audition: “National Car Rental” @ Ross Lacy Casting. This audition went really well – again. I expect to be at the callbacks next week.

The even better part about it was chatting with fellow actors about life stuff. Mostly, non-acting related stuff It was just me and some of the usual suspects that I often see on the audition circuit over the years. I bet it’s some of the same conversations that many of today’s highly visible actors have had decades ago.

So I'm at work last night and I get a table of 7 guests. It was late...or better yet early - about 3am. They were a little rambunctious - just a little, but nothing that was a problem. I've learned to deal with many things at that hour of the morning in West Hollywood.

I had gotten them water and was finishing the taking of their food order when another gentleman joined the party. The gentleman was greeted very warmly by the party and then left to talk some other people at a different able.

Let me add that this gentleman's reputation precedes him - in a big way. ..make that a huge way.

I exited to enter the food order into the computer.

I returned to the table to deliver drinks and they were calling him by a different name; that confused me a bit, I was sure that my eyes were not playing tricks on me and it was who I thought it was. A few in the party were making comments in line with this gentleman’s reputation - that told me my hunch was right. A moment or two later said gentleman returns to the table. I give him a menu and some time to look it over. I return to the table and he asked me "what's good? I wanna get some eggs, whatchya'll got?" I go over some options for him and....

....did I mention earlier that his reputation precedes him? It does. Did I mention that he's way bigger than me? He is. Way stronger? No doubt. Way meaner? Probably…yes.

The first two things he asked for we didn’t have so I gave him options of what we did have. At that point he leaned in really close to me…really close…totally invading my personal space, but I held my cool…until he put both of his hands in his pockets…goosebumps immediately came over my body.

....did I mention earlier that his reputation precedes him? It does. Did I mention that he's way bigger than me? He is. And his rap sheet is longer than mine…..waaaay longer. Mine is mad short.

So…as he stands there…a full 8-10 inches taller than me…weighing nearly double my weight…he gives me his order. Excuse my French, but I was sweating my ass off…like seriously. I thought there was the ever so slight chance that I could be taking one of my last breaths. Not really, but sorta.

Here’s this huge presence, with a reputation that precedes him, towering over me, very closely I might add and I don’t have much of what he wants to eat – at 3am. Plus, I hardly heard what he did say he wanted because I thought I might have to duck, run or swing. I actually thought that something bad might happen – in that exact moment.

The super tricky part was that he was pretty nice and respectful which made me even more wary of what might happen. Anyway, I repeated the order while writing it down and he thanked me and went to sit down with the rest of the party.

His order came up, but since he’s quite recognizable he was talking to other people who noticed him. At one point I went to tell him that his meal was ready, but thought it was smarter for me to not interrupt this particular gentleman while talking to those particular women. He eventually returned to the table and I delivered his food. There were a few things he needed and I was there to handle them – he was always very nice and respectful.

I escaped with my life, LOL! This was just two days after I almost had an altercation while at work in a totally different situation. In that incident I wasn’t the least bit intimidated and would have done what I had to do to defend myself. Yup, I’m much more of a lover than a fighter, but there’s a time to defend yourself too, plus I’m quick and in shape.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

2 comments:

Nicole J. Butler said...

Does the first letter of his last name (or at least his sobriquet) start with a "K"?

You could take him.

Stephon Fuller said...

"sobriquet?" what the hell is a "sobriquet?" A salad?

Look, smart, tall woman from the Soufside of Chi; I didn't go to college so your really big, important words go right over my head.

You sure I could take 'em? I don't know...