Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I was confirmed to attend the SAG Board Meeting last night but I got scheduled to work and had to cancel. I was looking forward to getting insight into where SAG is as far as the negotiations with the AMPTP are concerned.

I'm trying to keep that stuff at "arm's length" for my own sanity, but it's difficult because the deal we get is most likely going to have huge ramifications down the road…just like the original home video contract in the 80’s that has never been improved upon. Can you believe that? Twenty-two years at the same terms?

Not to sound like a downer, but I felt that last Tuesday was a sad day for actors. I say that because I can't figure out what scenario that the ratification of the AFTRA contract is helping actors make a living. Sure, they made a deal to keep actors working, but at what cost to the profession in the longer term?

Listen, I could be wrong about AFTRA in general, but I can't find anyone to show me how they are fighting for me - the middle-class working actor that aspires to continue making a living in the business. I'm more than willing to listen. Why are Disc Jockeys and Television Broadcasters that are AFTRA members voting on a contract that I may be working under as an actor? It makes no sense to me.

From my POV they just seem to be so agreeable when it comes to the AMPTP. No, I don't think SAG is perfect, but if I was in a foxhole with bullets flying overhead I would rather be supported by SAG than AFTRA everyday of the week. It seems that AFTRA is fighting for more jurisdiction from SAG even at the expense of the performers that it represents. Maybe I’m crazy, but that’s what it looks like to me.

I could see this situation coming years ago between SAG & AFTRA and here we are. The scary part is that if AFTRA continues doing what they are doing I can see our current rates actually decrease.

You would think that since we are "the talent", the faces on the DVD boxes, big screens and small that we'd have some leverage….yeah, you’d think. I really hope that over the next 3 years we can figure out a way to merge or better yet absorb AFTRA into the Screen Actor Guild. I’d like to see Equity eventually become a part of a restructured performer’s labor organization as well. Isn’t there strength in numbers? A conversion between two of the head honchos.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

1 comment:

Poetic Painter said...

Good luck with the acting career!