Thursday, September 18, 2008

Audition: “SuperValu Cub Foods” @ Craig Colvin Casting. This was so fun! I got to play the dad of 3 young children; a girl and twins boys. I knew it was about chemistry so I immediately tried to connect with them so we would come off as a family on camera. While the session director was setting up I asked the kids how old they were. They were all 6 years of age. Then, right away, I said, “let me guess your ages”. The first boy I guessed 7; he laughed and said, “wrong”. For the little girl I said 4 and she said, “no!” and the other little boy - I paused, squinted at him like I was really going to guess correctly this time and then said 15! They all laughed and were charged up and ready to go. By that time the session director was ready to put us on tape. It went wonderfully; I hope we all get callbacks! Do I look like I have 3 kids? Who cares…

So I've been at my day/night job for 4 months now and it's working out okay I guess. As I've said in the past it's been a great diversion from being so involved in "the biz" and talking about it what seemed like all the time. I also like having a tighter schedule, but don't get it twisted...I'd rather be on a series than slinging burgers and delivering raspberry mojitos...and I firmly believe that being on a series and more is in my future.

Part of the reason why the job is a positive thing is because I'm an "idea man". I'm always coming up with ideas about things in general – I can’t help it; they just flow. I'm not saying they are always great ideas, but they are always worthy of a listen. Sometimes it gets in the way because I can easily get buried in “hmmm…how can I make this…” rather than just “keeping things simple”. The job gives me that outlet…even if only in my head.
Yeah, I’m currently working at the restaurant fulltime, but that doesn’t make me a “company man” per se. I care much more about my personal future than I do the job; after all, “the job” doesn’t care about me either. The job cares about making money and so do I. So maybe it’s a good fit for the time being.
Sometimes my mental state while I’m there swings wildly. It’s never too negative, but usually quite interesting – at least to me. One minute I’m taking a drink order from an A-list celebrity and the next I’m being asked from someone from the Midwest how I can possibly work the graveyard shift on The Sunset Strip. That usually leads to:

“well, I’m an actor and I need my days free for auditions”;
which leads to “Oh yeah, what have you done?”;
which leads to “ah, a little of this and a little of that”;
which leads to “anything I might have seen?”;
which leads to “…yeah maybe…I’ve been fortunate to work on some pretty cool projects over the years, but it’s been kinda quiet lately;
which leads to “Like what projects?”
which leads to “well the last commercial was….”.

Yeah, that’s how it usually goes. Last week, after an exchange like that with a table of out-of-towners at 4 in the morning I had this AMAZING feeling that I was “living vicariously through ‘my own past’” while talking about the jobs I had done. It completely blew my mind!! For an entire day I wasn’t sure what to make of my thoughts about it. I was confused. I was proud. I was tired. I was ready to get my a** back on the horse and book some freakin’ jobs!
I guess its all part of the gig as an actor. I feel like I’m doing what I need to be doing. I don’t know how long I’ll last at the job because; physically it’s just so hard to keep the hours and burn the candle brightly at both ends.

I’m never hope to not have auditions scheduled for the next day, but I have to say that I’m really looking forward to sleeping most of the day tomorrow. It’s been a long week and I really need the rest.

No word on the “Cheetos” avail. After so many calls to release me from commercials avails in recent years; I’ll take “no news” as “good news”.
http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

No comments: