Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Shooting: “Do Not Disturb” @ Fox Studios. Day 2. This morning started with the hustle of trying to get rescheduled for the “Cheetos” callback at Ross Lacy Casting. My call time for “Do Not Disturb” had been pushed from 11am to 12pm so I asked my agent if it was possible to be seen by the creative people earlier instead of my scheduled time of 4:30pm. She put me on hold and called the casting office, but the answer was “no” because at that time they were doing an entirely different spot with an entirely different creative team. Okay… Plan B…whatever that is.
I’ve worked enough multi-camera sitcom days to have a great feel of how “show day” is structured and I believe there is a good window for me to be able to make my appointment. I knew when my scene was scheduled for rehearsal and I knew what time the network run-through was. Sometimes the 1st or 2nd AD can be a little difficult about releasing an actor, but I think it’ll work out. I informed David, the 2nd AD, last night of my “situation’.

Great! We finished the network run-through at 3:15 which gives me plenty of time to drive from Fox Studios to the Casting Studios on LaBrea. I think my category for the callback starts at 4pm so hopefully I can be one of the first groups and get in and out before my 4:30 appointment time.

When I arrived around 3:45 there were already some actors there for what I think was a different spot or a different part in the same spot.

It took FOREVER for them to start my category; I’m sure it just seemed that way because I needed to get back to the Fox lot….in afternoon traffic. Actually, it was looking like I was going to have to just leave without getting seen at all because I really had to get back to Fox…after all they were paying me and the “Cheetos” callback wasn’t.

Finally, they started my category and I was in the 2nd group. It was over in a flash and I did the same exact thing I did in the first audition. With that I ran all the way back to my car and was on my way. I made it back to Fox right as lunch was over. Other than being hungry it worked out perfectly.

I went to my much nicer dressing room, put on my sharp, tweed suit and went straight to make-up. Of course make up takes me all of 3 minutes and I was ready for the cast pre-show speed read of the script. We read the script and the show was ready to start. Working on a sitcom is a lot of fun and I hope to get on more in the future. There aren’t that many multi-camera shows left, but I’m going to try to get on them before it’s too late….especially the ones that work under SAG contracts and not AFTRA.

As soon as we finished the cast speed read my commercial agent called to tell me that I was on avail for the “Cheetos” commercial. Nice! Of course I’m available!

About 7:30 I got a call from a fellow employee at my night/day job to ask me to cover her overnight shift tonight. I have to tell you that I was really looking forward to getting a good night sleep tonight. I’ve been at Fox since 12 noon, drove across town full of anxiety and back for a callback, missed lunch and don’t expect to finish until 11pm tonight. I’m kinda beat. BUT in this particular situation, for this particular person I felt I had to do it. I would’ve have felt terrible if I’d said “no”; so I said “yes”. I told her that I probably wouldn’t be there for the 11pm start of the shift, but I could most likely get there by midnight. What was I thinking? I’m not Superman…I don’t even play one on TV.

A couple of hours later our scene was up; I was playing 1 of 3 reporters at a press conference. It went well. Yeah, I completely blew one take, but I had several good ones too. I’ve learn to not worry about that stuff so much; it’s all going to be pieced together from 4 cameras anyway and director knows when he/she has what they need.

Vanessa Mizzone, me and Allen C. Lui.

The casting directors, Brett, Colin and Tessie were all in attendance and I also got to talk to the co-executive producer Kirk J. Rudell. Kirk was also one of the writers/producers of “Good Morning, Miami” that I worked with in ’02 &’03. He said he saw me on the tape and thought “of course were going to hire him”. Cool! You never know if you’re being remembered or not. With that, I said good-bye to everyone, changed out of my cool-as** tweed suit, went by my apartment to pick up my uniform and was on my way to my day/night job. 12 noon to 11pm; then 12 midnight to 7am…what was I thinking when I said yes…at least I’m getting paid. Actually, it’s all good because I know I’m going to need someone to help to me in a pinch too one of these days.





No comments: