Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Audition: “AirTran” @ Kathy Knowles Casting. This went really well and I’m perfect for it. I usually get callbacks at this office and I hope to get one for this.

While driving on I-10, at on my way home from the audition my phone rang. The logo of KSR, my commercial agency, came on the screen. My first thought that there was a problem with the equipment at the audition and I needed to go back and audition again. That happened once at the office and I think about it every time I’m there.

I retrieved the voice mail message and mostly expected to hear the voice of Leah informing me that “we’ll get ‘em next time”; her way of telling me that I’ve been released from another avail. I hear that sooo often…it’s getting old.

Instead I heard the voice of Samantha, who actually I don’t think I’d ever spoken to on the phone. Samantha is my newest agent at KSR – she started about 9 months ago. The first word I remember hearing from Samantha was “congratulations….”. Yup, she then proceeded to tell me that I booked the KY Jelly” commercial!!! Right at that moment my life went into slow motions at 65 miles per hour. I couldn’t believe it. Like seriously, I couldn’t speak I was so stunned.

I got off the highway at the La Cienega exit, pulled into the Del Taco parking lot and sat in my car - speechless. It was about 5 minutes before I could even get myself together to call Samantha back to get the points of the deal. It was the first job I had booked through Samantha and I think I made it seem like it was my first booking ever - not commercial booking #35 or so for me.

It felt great to feel that way. No, I didn’t cry, but I was maybe a little misty-eyed…a little. She told me I’d be leaving for New York in a couple of days and production would call me directly to set everything up. Wow.

I always told my managers at work that I’d do whatever I could for them as far as filling in last minute or just being generally flexible. I also told them that I knew I would eventually have very last minute things come up in my career and I’d need their support as well. I guess I’ll see how this one works out.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Stephon, congratulations on this!

After keeping up, day by day, with the ups and downs of the life of a working actor, I wanted to cheer when this came through for you! (OK, I did cheer a little, alone in my living room. I don't think anyone heard....)

Stephon Fuller said...

Thank you SO much for your continual support Jon! It really means a lot.

Stephon