Friday, October 23, 2009

Audition: “Grey’s Anatomy” @ Lowy/Brace Casting. This audition was for a small co-star that I’m really right for and should book. It was also a pre-read. I didn’t have a problem being pre-read for the role, but I’m really looking forward to bigger and better things.

I’d dropped a photo to this casting office a couple of weeks ago and more recently did a workshop that went really well with someone from the office. I’ve met several people from this office over the years, but recently wanted to reacquaint myself. I don’t know if the workshop had anything to do with being called in, but I’ll take an appointment however I can get it.

It was a 2-line role and right before I was to go in to read the casting associate added another line of dialogue. Cool, it gave me just a little bit more to chew on. So I go in the room and the first read felt great. Sometimes I wish I didn’t know so much about the casting process. Why? Because I’m “a thinker”, my mind is constantly at work. I feel it often gets in my way and prevents me from doing things exceptionally well, but it often helps me too. I wish I could just turn it off at will, but I also love that very part of me.

I knew they were determining callbacks in the room and I would pretty much know right away. Of course I needed to get a callback to move on to the next step.

The casting director seemed happy with what I brought to the table and gave a little more insight to the character. I took that info and did it again; the casting director said “perfect” and gave me a time for the callback – 45 minutes later.

This is where sh*t got interesting. My new mattress that I ordered almost 3 weeks ago was finally scheduled for delivery today between noon and 4pm. Yup, my callback was scheduled for 12 noon...

Right away I called the delivery company to get a closer picture of exactly when they would be there. He said, “right around noon”. To make a long story, I ended up driving home to meet them, which was by far the dumbest thing I could have done. I knew I could make it back in time for the callback, but my focus was a little off. Of course the delivery truck wasn’t there and I drove right back to the studio, arriving right at noon. I went in to read right away for the director. It went okay, not bad at all, but I was really upset with myself for not prioritizing. I know better than that.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love this one Stephon. learning a lot and appreciate your honesty in posts like this.

Stephon Fuller said...

Thank you!