Thursday, March 04, 2010

Shooting: “Marie Callendar’s/Healthy Choice”. Call time: 7:30am. Location: Miracle Mile District of Los Angeles – 29th Fl. I parked my car, as directed, at The Peterson Automotive Museum and jumped in the waiting van to shuttle me to craft services for breakfast. I met a few other actors that I’d be working with and then walked over to our trailers for wardrobe, contracts and other stuff. The two lead ladies were flown in from out of town; Mary Crosbie based in New York and Susan Messing based in Chicago. Gotta love those out of town gigs. Exactly one year ago on March 4th 2009 I was flying back from New York after shooting a commercial there.

When everyone was ready we made our way to the set on the 29th floor of the adjacent building. I don’t think I’d ever been that high up in LA before; the panoramic view was mesmerizing. It felt GREAT to be working!

A moment later we were rehearsing and then shooting. The really funny part for me was that in the original audition I completely butchered part of the dialogue and out of all the actors in Los Angeles and wherever else they held auditions I was the one chosen to say those very words. How cool is that!?!

I made it through the day relatively well considering I was at work until 5am and had to wake up at 6:30am for my 7:30am call time. Yeah, there was a period during the day that I was really tired so while on break I went to the craft services table and got some Gummy Bears and Jelly Belly’s and started having some fun…and it gave me a boost of energy.


bellies, bears and a berry...a source of energy.

After lunch we shot the second part of the scene and some other stuff; waited around for a while and we were wrapped. It was a long 10 ½ hour day. I got home by 7:30pm to get 2 hours of sleep because I was scheduled to work at 10pm. It’s rare for me to be tired at work; before and after, yes, but not during. This night I was really dragging; I’ve been burning the candle at both ends for a while and it caught up to me.

One of my co-workers could tell that I wasn’t my normal, energetic self and I explained to him what my recent activities had been. I had been asked to work the previous night because someone called in sick. He suggested that I should have just said “no” to the extra shift since I was shooting the next morning. I understood where he was coming from, but I explained to him that if I do what most would have done in that situation I’d be crazy to expect different results. I have felt that I have no choice but to worker harder than most. I told him that “typical effort” usually results in “typical results” and “typical results” in my business, this business of entertainment, is not what I’m after. He thought about that for a moment and then understood where I was coming from.

My turning point at work was seeing a man, one of my customers that I was serving; he was suffering from some sort of nervous condition; I think it might be the same thing that Michael J. Fox suffers from. Right away, I felt blessed to only be tired. That gentlemen, I assume, has to deal with that condition 24 hours a day 7 days a week. Me? All I need is some rest.


http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: