Tuesday, April 06, 2010

I haven’t had a single audition in almost a week and half. I ain’t tripping though. I’m very fortunate to have opportunities to audition on a very regular basis. But, I’ve been trying to take advantage of the slowdown while I can because sleeping 45 minutes here, 4 hours there definitely takes its toll on me and I’ve been very busy for the last several months. True to form my commercial agent woke me up this morning with an appointment for this afternoon. Cool.

Audition: “AT&T” @ Craig Colvin Casting. This was a lot of fun. The set up was supposed to be 4 adults and 2 children, but they ran out of children so we went in alone. Me and the other actors I read with had a complete blast. Hopefully I’ll see them at callbacks!

Guess what? I went to Barnes & Noble the other day…and bought a book…I’m even reading the book! The title is BRAINWASHED: Challenging the Myths of Black Inferiority – by Tom Burrell. I had recently listened to a podcast with the author on The Tavis Smiley Show and immediately wanted to read the book. I have never been that much of a book reader. Actually, I’m quite envious of people who do read novels and such. I don’t and never really have. I read a lot of magazines and such, but I haven’t read too many books…maybe it’s my ADD – at the same time I’m an information junkie.

So far in reading, it’s very interesting in how the author is explaining the effect slavery has had on Black people in America. Wow. It’s not complete news to me, but you just wanna shake your head when you see so much information dedicated to the matter all at once. It’s hard to believe that there was a time in this country when my ancestors were legally considered less than a full human being of a person…yes, legally. Again, I say wow. I can absolutely say that it has had an effect on me all these years later.

I’m trying to do what I can to make this world a better place. I doubt I’ll be able to change the world, but I can try to make things a little better. I want to be a great brother, uncle, friend. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll be a great husband and father – that would be incredible! I have to find more confidence first.

I don’t plan on trying to be perfect, but I would like to be an asset to a given situation if I can. Matter of fact there are a couple of young people at my night job that I’m encouraging and trying to help get out of debt. I don’t know a ton about it in general, BUT I know exactly how I did it. I also know how I completely changed my spending habits. I was never terrible, but even not being terrible leaves room for a lot of improvement. Two full-time jobs will definitely help to curb spending that’s for sure! It’ll also kill your social life.

Get this: over the last 2 weeks I’ve run into the director of the last commercial I did on 3 different occasions. He’s been in post-production since we finished shooting and just delivered the finished spots to the client. He said they should start running in the near future…I don’t know if I’m in the finished spot. I sure hope so. The commercial is for “Marie Callendar’s/Healthy Choice”. There are 6 different ones, but I’m just in one of them.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: