Sunday, December 26, 2010

We lost a legend today. R&B singer, songwriter, arranger, producer, etc. Teena Marie passed away today at the age of 54. As some of my close friends know she was one of my most favorite performers. 54? That’s just way too young.

Back on June 29th 2002 one of my dearest friends, Genine, surprised me for my birthday while I was in New York. I didn’t know what the surprise was, but she needed to stop and get tickets for it at the venue. The venue was BB Kings on 42nd St. so I waited in the car, double parked, on the busy street while Genine went inside. I had traveled up to the NYC from my Summer vacation in Virginia Beach and very vaguely knew that Teena was on the road. I thought to myself, “Maybe this is where she’s performing”.

Right as Genine was getting out of the car a limousine pulled in front of me. I knew there was no way that it was Lady Tee herself, but I reached for my camera just in case. I couldn’t believe my eyes; it was Teena coming in for a sound check. I eagerly leaped out of the car and Genine snapped this shot of the two of us. Thanks Genine for one of the best birthdays ever for me. Teena, thanks for the 10.6 hours, 1.11GB adding up to 123 songs on my hard drive. R.I.P.


Me & Teena Marie/New York

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: