Monday, February 14, 2011

What a freakin day! I had BIG PLANS for photos drop-offs after a morning dentist appointment. Oh yeah, Happy Valentine’s Day! I don’t have a Valentine’s…maybe next year. Moving on, back to the dentist chair. I have been trying to get some major dental work done for years, but it is SOOOO expensive. So today I start another run at trying to accomplish this. I could buy a nice car…or I could get a new smile…I want a new car BAD! I want the smile I had after wearing braces for 4 years as a teen worse…MUCH worse. Decision made; a new smile it is.

We started with a consultation to see exactly where I was and what type of work needs to be done. Yes, I was prepared for insane amount of money that I was quoted, but I look at it as an investment in myself both, personally and professionally. I’ve been preparing for this day for a long time.

As I sat there, I wasn’t sure how I was going to pay for it. I have the money to pay in full, but I don’t want to mess with my Roth IRA or 401(k), and since I’m on the rebound FICO score-wise, I doubt I would be approved for a loan. No matter, I elected to start the first procedure anyway and put it on my debit card.

The pain, the pain of the novocaine needle – upper left & right, lower left & right. I had a deep cleaning performed to check areas that are more difficult to see and for that they need to numb me.

While the novacaine was doing its work I became very, very emotional; to the point where tears began to flow from my eyes. I couldn’t stop it and when the dental hygienist came back in the room she thought I was in intense pain. I was in a little pain, but that wasn’t the reason for the tears. Of course, I was so numb that I couldn’t explain that to her. I was numb and mumbling; actually it was kind of funny.

The deep emotion that was coming out of me was because I was finally, actually on the road to getting it done AND I have the funds. I’m still not sure exactly how I’m going to do it, but I’m going to do it. Between my savings, residuals, steady work at the restaurant, the upcoming DEGREE commercial, tax refund and, of course future acting jobs I have this covered. I’ve worked hard for it and I’m looking forward to it.

Another reason for the emotion was that I wish my mother could see my new smile. She, and my father, made sure that I had braces as a kid and I appreciate that. The reason why I don’t have that beautiful smile I had back then was because about a years or so after getting my braces off I got into a terrible accident on my BMX bike while riding a skateboard ramp. Yeah…straight down on my face from about 12 feet in the air. Broke the front end off of the bike and broke my face – bad deal, but it could have been a lot worse.

So, in the end, I spent 3-4 hours at the dentist and not a single photo drop-off get done. I went home to sleep in my discomfort and excitement.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

4 comments:

Patty S. said...

Wow you are brave! I stay away from the dentist as much as I can :) I think I will stop drinking so much coffee and diet coke...

Anyway nice blog! I will be visiting again...

xoxo

Patty

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Patty!

Nicole J. Butler said...

I'm late reading this, and understand the emotion first-hand, but have to say that I've never noticed that your smile is anything LESS than beautiful.

HUGS!

--Nicole

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks Nicole!