Saturday, July 16, 2011

Today I had my first of two 4-hour workshops with veteran TV director Bethany Rooney. It did not go well…at all. The basis of the class is much about working with props, blocking, hitting your marks, being able to duplicate a performance, etc. The requirements were to be off-book with the dialogue, incorporate 3 separate movements and use 3 different props. Our classmates put marks on the floor for our movements in the first take and we assigned a “script supervisor” to notate movements, dialogue and actions.

My performance was extremely flat. I was worried about the props and the blocking. The only bright spot was doing very well with the 4-pages of dialogue. After the first take Bethany gave me and my scene partner feedback and we took another stab at it. In all honesty, the second take wasn’t much better. I was disappointed in myself and embarrassed. My scene partner had a lot of trouble with remembering her lines, but that didn’t have anything to do with me sucking. I was embarrassed because my resume shows that I’ve been hired by many top casting directors, writers, directors on many successful shows over the years. My performance said otherwise...

The bright spot was that I was determined to do better next week. I had no problem understanding the direction I just could unclutter my mind enough to execute the direction. I often overthink things…nothing new for me.

==

Life on the Sunset Strip…

Oh snap! Is that Ludacris?! Ima get a record deal tonight... Lay down some raps 'n sh*t!

==

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: