Sunday, September 22, 2013

7,305 days ago on September 22nd, 1993 I started my first acting class with Sylvia Harman at The Actor's Place in Virginia Beach, VA.

It was a Wednesday evening.

Class started at 7pm. I was nervous, really nervous. During the introductory "who are you and why are you here" the teacher called me out thinking I lied about my age…I looked about 10 years younger than I was. That made me even more nervous.

Twenty or so "actors" started that night with what seemed to be silly exercises of repetition. I had no idea what I was doing. I quickly learned that this "acting thing" was much, much harder than it looked. I was intrigued.

It's been 20 years since that night and I have never stopped pursuing my career. Never, not even for a day. Sometimes I think it would take more courage to stop and get off of the ride than to continue on and forge ahead. I still don't know.

I admire those who have the guts to quit…and also those with the resolve to stay in the game.

Over the past two decades I've booked a few jobs, traveled a few places and met countless amazingly talented people. I had no idea where I thought I'd be in 20 years…and honestly, I'm not even sure where I am in the big picture of the journey.

I often wonder if I've already booked my last gig.

I don't think so, but one never really knows. I think it's just my deep-seeded fear of rejection rearing its head.

One thing I know is very clear. That is the fact that I still really want to be a professional actor. I'm excited, I think my best days are ahead of me.


Happy anniversary to me.




















First Headshot - 1995

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: