Monday, September 09, 2002

Today I audition for "Gilmore Girls" over on the Warner Brothers lot. As I was getting closer to the lot I noticed lots and lots of smoke in the air. With the 9/11 anniversary rapidly approaching I couldn't help but have a very nervous feeling. Had something happened on the lot or nearby? I hoped not. After I parked I asked the security what was going on and they said it was a brush fire. In reality it wasn't that close to the lot, it was in Glendale. It was weird because I've seen numerous fires on television, but this was the first time I'd seen one up close. I could even see the flames; I could also see houses that were in the vicinity. I really felt for those people.

How in the heck did ANOTHER bat get into my apartment?!?! That's it! I can't open my windows at all. I mean, my screens are closed!! Is this a sign? If it is, it's funny, but not really.

Alright, this is how it went down. I'm in the lab, (at my desk) taking care of some business and I see something move in my peripheral vision. I glance over and it's a &*^%$#$&&* bat!! WHAT!!! In a flash I back up in my chair and hit the deck trying to get away from it. This is the 3rd time this has happened.

I live in a studio so there aren't too many places to escape. I’m babysitting my girls son, Gabriel, and he is sleeping on the couch. I abruptly wake him and dive into the bathroom. He has no idea what the heck is going on. We hang in there for a minute to gather our thoughts; he is delirious.

I have these visions of getting bit on my neck just like in the movies. So I'm standing in my bathroom not believing that this has happened AGAIN. I have to get to the light to turn it on so I can see the thing flying around. I grab my pajama bottoms and tie them around my neck and put a towel around Gabe’s. Shut up, it ain't funny!!! No, go ahead and laugh I can take it.

So after a moment we make a break for it to the front door of my apartment and get outside. I open the door a sliver to peer inside and see it flying around in circles. I then take Gabes’ towel in my hand to try to knock it out of the air with. So I'm standing outside my apartment door with a pair of pajama pants tied around my neck and a towel in my hand………with a child. Thankfully, no one came into my apartment building and saw us.

I was not going to get bit by this flying rat!! So finally I get brave and enter the apartment. I don't see the bat anymore. Awwww man! Is it hiding? Did it escape? If I don't see this flying rat again and get it out of here I will not be able to sleep. So I’m creeping, trying to find it to no avail. I HAVE to find it.

I’m terrified of going into the kitchen, but I have to. I slowly creep in there and don’t see anything and then finally I see something moving. There it is!! I slowly grab a plastic container, never taking my eyes off of it and get a broom to pin it in the corner. At this point, I am sweating bullets!
I get the container over it, a piece of cardboard under it and scoop it up. I noticed a little drop of blood when I was picking it up; I guess it was a little “police brutally”. Hey? What’s a brother to do? I pay the rent here. Anyway, I ran downstairs and let him go and he flew away. By this time Gabe was fully awake and thought it was pretty cool and exciting. It was, but not really. This does NOT need to happen again.

No comments: