Tuesday, September 07, 2004

Another day of drop-offs. From Culver City to Burbank and Studio City to Paramount Studios. It never ends and it was hot as fire today. I'm so thankful for my newer car. I can't imagine doing this in my old car, but I did it last Summer. Sometimes it seems so easy. I went to a place in Culver City and walked right into the production office and handed my photo to a very willing employee. She said "oh, this is for Donna. I'll take it right to her" and proceeded to do so. So that photo went straight to "Donna" "out of context" meaning out of the hustle/bustle of a typical submission. Now I don't expect to get seen for the project, but who knows, maybe I will.Last month one of my agents informed me that she's leaving the business to be a full-time mother to her new baby. I am so sorry to be losing her as one of my representatives, but I can't think of a better reason to go. I am very, very happy for her.When she informed me that she was leaving she also told me that the dynamics of the entire agency was going to change, but she wasn't sure how. The owner of the agency, Erin Connor, was going to hire a new agent, bring in a new partner or merge/be merged with another entity. I wasn't sure where all of this would leave me. You never really know in these situations.

THE MERGE/THE PURGE

Today on my home machine I had a message to call Erin at the
office. I don't get many calls directly from Erin so I admit I was a little nervous. I didn't think it was a booking, because I hadn't read for anything in the last week or so and if it was an appointment she would have left it on my answering machine. I wondered if this was how it's going to go down. Would she say "Stephon, were sorry, but we've decided to go in a different direction and unfortunately we have had trim our roster............." I returned the call and both agents were tied up on other calls. I hadn't heard anything back 90 minutes later so I called again and they were still tied up. I could tell that things were happening, but I didn't know what. My heart was beating, I mean REALLY beating. I've kinda had my game face about the notion of getting dropped since I first heard the news last month, but the reality of the actual call is another thing.

Finally the agent who is leaving, Kelley, called me and gave me the news. Badgley/Connor is merging with Schiowitz/Clay/Ankrum & Ross. Each agency is bringing clients with them and each agency is leaving clients behind. THAT was my next question.

Stephon:
"Wow, okay..........uhh.......alright.......so what about the purging?"

Kelley:
"Yes, the purging. Erin is taking you with her".

Stephon:
"Cool, I feel quite fortunate".

Kelley:
"Yeah, there are many that won't be making the transition with her.

Stephon:
"Wow, this is weird. It's been six years Kelley. I always tell people that I have 7-8 fabulous women representing me and I love it. Now I have to deal with men? I'm kidding.............."

So that's how it went down. I'm still with Badgley/Connor, but I'm also repped by SCA&R. It's sort of a merging of the each agencies list and the names will be combined in some way as well. I have only heard great things about Josh Schiowitz & David Ankrum. I'm excited about the future of this. If I had to get out and look for new rep, of course I would have done it, but there is a lot going on in the agency business and I would not want to be on the market right now. WHEW!

No comments: