Sunday, January 02, 2005

The moment of truth is here. Today is the day that the motocross score will be settled among my two younger brothers and me. I will admit that I was nervous leading up to it. Why? Because the smack talk never, ever stops between us. I live for it. Truthfully, it's kind of a lopsided situation because they ride so much more than I do. I only get to ride when I am home in Virginia. So the last time for me was in July and it was so muddy that it didn't amount to much. I was quiet during the 45-minute ride to the track. My main thing is to not get hurt or damage the bike. I don't want my brothers getting hurt either. The main thing is that we get to laugh and that brings us closer as we grow older.

During the warm-up I got a chance to see what each of them had for me. Jeff looked way better than he did last time and Todd looked even better than that. The track was muddy in spots but Todd was still hanging it out. When I saw him do this double jump that I had never done my confidence in winning went further South.........for the moment. I had to figure out where I was going beat him on the track. I figured it was going to be in the turns and getting on the brakes later than him. Of course, bigger cajones help too.

In preparation for this impending battle, I've been studying all of the riding tips I could find online. My brother, Jeff, laughs at me doing this to get ahead. After getting to the track, I rode around and really studied the layout and practiced some of the drills I learned on the internet.

IT'S TIME!!! Here we are on the starting line. The bikes: Todd/2001 Suzuki RM125. Jeff/2004 Kawasaki KX250F. Me/2003 Honda CR125 w/FMF "Fatty" pipe. I was expecting Jeff to win the start because he was on the 4-stroke, but I was going for the holeshot anyway.

And we're off!!!! I win the race to the first turn with Todd hot on my heels. Todd passes me right out of the first turn and Jeff gets around me after I fall in the muddy second turn.. I was pissed. I felt I could win. I get up and back in the race and on the second lap I see Todd on the ground and I'm making up serious time in catching Jeff then I fall again in the same spot as before. Jeff wins the race, I'm second and Todd third.

The second race has begun. I win the sprint to the first turn again and don't look back. I lead the entire race and am completely in control. Todd and Jeff give me a lot of credit. Again, in the third race, I am the first one to the first turn, but I fall and Jeff and Todd get around me. Todd falls and can't start his bike. I almost catch Jeff, but run out of time. So far, Jeff has two wins and a second. Todd has three thirds and I have a win and two seconds.

A win is a win, but I didn't feel that Jeff deserved his. I mean he never passed anyone that wasn't on the ground already. I challenged him to two more races. Todd's bike had a crank-bearing problem and he was done for the day. I smoked Jeff wire-to-wire in the last two races. I told them both that they would never beat me again. Jeff is talking about flying me back home soon just for a weekend of racing. I told him to shut-up and send me a ticket!! Ladies and Gentlemen introducing the Winter Series Fuller Family Motocross Champion--Stephon Fuller!!!

No comments: