Thursday, June 09, 2005

I was treated to a beautiful drive up I-5 to Valencia for the "IBM" commercial shoot. The location was the Vista Valencia golf course.

I knew right away I was in the right place when I saw one of the production people erecting a basketball goal on the set. The director, Joe Pytka, is a legend in commercial direction; I mean top dog. He is also a basketball fanatic who is known to always have a basketball goal nearby while shooting.

After having breakfast, going through hair/make-up & wardrobe, I watched Joe and some production guys play a game of 3 on 3 b-ball. It’s kinda funny to watch this 60 some year-old man play ball with these young cats. He can play too; sinking bank shots from all over the court. Interesting. Usually on-set it’s “time is money”, but Joe truly runs his own show.

Cameras are ready , first shot up, I am playing “The Helpist”. I am sitting at my desk in the middle of a golf course right beside a bunker/sand trap. It’s a funny spot and we had a great time shooting it. Let me tell you, Joe Pytka is one interesting fellow. He is known to be quite tough on his cast and crew when he wants to be. Some of it is very, very harsh and some of it is completely hysterical. This is my second time working with him and I haven’t received any of his wrath….yet.

He really knows what he wants and does not waste time. You really need to be ready to work and pay close attention to what is going on. The script and other things changed many times and you have to be able to roll with it.

LUNCH!!

Oh...my...WHAT? I just had a conversation with one of the executives from Ogilvy & Mather, the New York-based advertising agency handling the campaign. She told me I was a "double miracle". What? Yeah, she explained to me how the whole process worked for this particular spot. I auditioned Thursday morning on my way to Dori Zuckerman's office to be a reader; I almost had to miss it because I had to in Encino by 11am. By Thursday evening I had been approved by all but one person. She said I was a "double miracle" because I was the right type, had the quality they were looking for and being African-American helped too…..a lot. Of course, I didn't know any of that going in, but it was cool to hear it directly from the people involved.

She was talking about how great it is to find good actors that you know can do the job. She even said that I’ll probably get a bunch of bookings in the next 6 months from them. WHAT!?!? Cool! I mean, I won’t wait by the phone, but it sure sounds good.

She also explained that I was going to be a different character, but how and why that changed. Interesting stuff.

STEPHON’S WRAPPED!!!!!

So I’m done for the day. The spot is due to break in conjunction with the US Open Golf Tournament in August. Although, I haven’t gotten the official booking yet, but it seems that I will working on Saturday as well for an interactive video too that has something to do with the commercial. That’s cool, weekend commercial shoots pay double!

Okay, now back to reality and getting my ticket to go home for Saturday. Thankfully, I have some friends that are really stepping up and helping me out.

Shortly after talking to Kimberlay about scheduling my flight home with a buddy pass I get another audition. Huh? I thought I was done. How did I get in this great situation? I mean…yeah…I developed a plan years ago and have stuck to it, but it’s always still kinda surreal to actually see it work.

It all goes back to my days in New York and researching the companies who I wanted on my team when I moved to Los Angeles. Seven years later it’s still working with most of the same people I aligned myself with back then. I have a great team on my side.

Anyway, if this was any other audition I would probably just say no because of time; ya know, audition, hope for a callback, then an avail and wait to see if you book. I just really want to go home. BUT I have a team for a reason. Some decisions are made by committee. If it was soley up to me I never would have booked the “IBM” spot because I was so in the “I’m out of here!” frame of mind. I just wanted to leave. Alicia and Brooke @ KSA have been doing this for years and I trust them.

Back to the audition, it’s for “Motorola”. Whom is this audition for? TLC/Loree Booth Casting, the same casting director I just booked through and the same director, Joe Pytka. They don’t normally have callbacks. They usually just put you on avail after the first call if they are interested. So the process is a little quicker.

The spot is scheduled to shoot next Wednesday through Friday of next week, the 15th-17th. I am supposed to leave on the red-eye this Saturday night 11th to go home. I still don’t know if I am working Saturday on the other part of the “IBM” spot or not.

Alright, this is the deal. I’ll change my Saturday flight to the red-eye on Wednesday the 15th. I don’t know if it’s 3 different spots or one spot with a 3 day shoot or how it’s working. Listen to me, getting carried away; I haven’t even auditioned yet!!!! CHILL!! I ain’t like I’m a big booker in the first place. The “IBM” was the first one in 14 months! BUT, I do need to figure what I’m going to do. By Wednesday, I should know if they are interested in me.

No comments: