Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Audition: “Capital One” @ Joe Blake Casting. This goes really well.

Audition/Producers: “Monk” @ CFB Casting. I had an interesting experience when I showed up at the Ren-Mar Studios security gate. I’ve read for “Monk” probably 5 times over the years and hopefully, one day I will book a role on the show. Things were looking good, I found a parking space right across the street; I was feeling confident.

As I walked to the security office to check-in I saw the woman who is usually there when I do drop-offs. She is always very nice and pleasant and I am the same to her; I was last there about 2 weeks ago dropping–off for “Monk” or maybe it was a pilot. This is how it went.

EXT – REN – MAR STUDIOS – AFTERNOON.

Several people are waiting outside a trailer with a sign on it that says “Extras changing”. A few feet back is a small security office with an actor checking in. Exiting the studio is a blonde “actress” type with healthy…umm…assets. She was confused about something and talking to whomever would listen as she walked by; obviously I was listening. STEPHON, African-American, late 20’s early 30’s, actor, patiently waits his turn to check-in. As the actor in front of him finishes.

Stephon: Hi, I’m Stephon Fuller-

Security: (As she looks at a memo on the wall in front of her that I couldn’t read from where I was standing.) You aren’t allowed on the lot.

Stephon: Excuse me?

Security: You aren’t allowed on the lot.

Stephon: You’re kidding right?

Security: No, I’m sorry.

Stephon: Is there any particular reason I’m not allowed on the lot.

Security: They don’t have to give a reason.

Stephon: So you’re telling me I can’t get on the lot even if I have an appointment?

Security: Who do you have an appointment with?

Stephon: Corbin Bronson for “Monk”.

Security: Let me try to call. (She dials)

Stephon: You’re telling me I’m banned from the lot and you have no idea why? Am I on a list or something?

Security: Sometimes they put people on a list and then they change their mind and let them back on.

Stephon: Am I not on the list of actors who have an appointment for “Monk” today?

Security: Wait a minute.

Stephon is starting to get noticeably agitated. RE: Pissed.

Stephon: I have an audition that I am now late for and you won’t let me on the lot AND you don’t have a reason.

Security: Don’t get upset sir.

Stephon: I have an appointment and I don’t really need this right before my audition. “Why” are you saying this? Am I on a watch list or something? What does it say about me? What are you looking at on the wall? Can I look to a look at it?

Security: Sure.

Stephon: I didn’t want to just stick my head in your office and really start trouble.

Security: No problem.

Stephon peers into the office to look at the “memo” that she has been looking at. It’s two Xerox copies of the same white guy and it says something like “Banned from Ren-mar” in red ink.

Stephon: That’s not me; that’s a white guy.

Security: I know that’s not you; I can tell he’s white.

Stephon: But you looked straight at that memo when you first told me I wasn’t allowed on the lot. Why did you look at a white guy and then tell me I’m banned? How did that happen?

Security: I’m just doing my job.

Stephon: I understand that, but I’m trying to figure out why you just randomly said I’ve been banned from the lot.

Security: What is your name?

Stephon: Stephon Fuller, my agency is Schiowitz, Connor, Ankrum & Wolf. Are you telling me that my name is not on that list right in front of you? My appointment was @ 4:30.

The security guard takes a look.

Security: Yes, there it is.

Stephon: So it was there the whole time?

Security: I am very sorry; I got confused.

Stephon: No problem.

Security: Do you know where building F is?

Stephon: Yeah, around the corner to the right.

Security: I am so sorry……..


Can you believe that? In the beginning I was wondering what the heck I could have done to piss someone off. Yeah, I have dropped off there many times in the past, but I am never pushy or disrespectful. CFB Casting has called me in numerous times in the past and I booked through them a year ago. I didn’t think Corbin would call me on my cell phone with a producer session and then ban me from the lot the next day. Stranger things have happened I guess.

When I finally sign-in and get settled I see fellow actor Denver Dowridge at the audition as well. Denver and I are very similar types and are often mistaken for each other. We hadn’t seen each other for a while, although I see him on TV quite a bit. I assume we were reading for the same role. I wonder if he booked any of the many commercials I’ve been on avail for lately, lol!. Anyway, cool brother.

The audition went really, really well. There was about 8 people in the room and I did what I wanted to do. I was very happy when I left and can’t ask for much more than that. One of the days I am going to book this show – maybe today!Oh yeah, I made sure I waved good-bye and said thank you to the wonderful security guard on the way out. That was just weird; we had had such great encounters before.

5 comments:

ACTORSITE said...

Stephon....Too funny man!...Just catching up on your life, and saw you auditioned for Evan Almighty too...Hey it took them 2 months to call me after my audition, so you still have plenty of time...it would be cool as heck to be in the same film with you...I hope you get it brother!...Bruno

Angel said...

Hilarious! Glad you made it in to the audition. Ha!

I hope you book it! Saying a prayer for you.

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Bruno and Angel, it would cool to get to work on a film with both of ya'll BIG TYMERS!! Morgan Freeman and Michael Douglas? That's big time.

"Monk" would be cool though, I just wanna work.

Bruno, maybe your "Almighty" dates got pushed because they are trying to get in contact with me. We could chill in first class eating shrimp and talk about "back in the day..........."

Let's just keep it moving fellas!

Stephon

kiaglover said...

Woo Stephon, that was too many things! I'm glad you finally made it onto the lot for your appt. The moron in the security office needs to be released from his little duties......

Stephon Fuller said...

Actually Kia it was a "her". She is usually so nice to me. I don't know what was on her mind that day. Oh well.

Stephon