Friday, May 26, 2006

Ugh! The gym - I don't particularly enjoy working out. At least not usually, but I do it pretty regularly. How else am I going to keep my girlish LA figure?

So @ 10:26 this morning I'm sitting in my car trying to convince myself to actually go inside Bally's, get on the elliptical and sweat. Make no mistake, I am pretty athletic, it's just that I'd rather be on my skateboard, snowboard, mountain bike, motorcycle, bodyboard or skis. Nevertheless, I know working out is good for me, plus I need to be in shape to represent on the MX bikes against my little brother's this Summer.

So, just as I gather the courage to head into gym my cell phone rings. It's the special ringer of Schiowitz, Connor, Ankrum & Wolf (SCAW), my theatrical agency. The ring tone is kinda sinister and dark which symbolizes drama, lol!. There is even a green four-leaf clover that comes up on the screen. Why the clover? Erin Connor is the agent I've been with the longest there and "Connor" is an Irish surname; at least I think it is.

For KSA I have a happy ringer that symbolizes commercials and a rose that appears on the screen. The rose is for the greatness of KSA and also Rose Marsten who is so wonderful in the print department.

Anyway, so I retrieve the voicemail message and it's Erin at SCAW. Usually, if it's an audition she'll leave the info and I'll call back to confirm or pass, but this time she just said to call when I get this message. That is usually good news.

Of course, while dialing, my mind went straight to thinking I got an offer for "Evan Almighty" and I'm going to Virginia to shoot. So after hearing all the Sprint menus Erin's voice finally comes on says "Stephon I have an offer for..............."Monk". What? After all that drama I went through just getting on the lot for the audition? Wow, I guess I earned it.

Although, I felt the "Monk" audition went very, very well I had kinda forgotten about it because I had "Evan Almighty" on my mind. Why? Well, it's another acting role, a studio film, it will get released, it shoots in Virginia, and there are two people from Actorsite already booked on it among other things.

Shelley Dowdy is already on location in Virginia working and Bruno Amato is leaving Saturday morning. I know Bruno’s dates got pushed so I figured there was still a chance for me! It's always cool to work with people you know. I worked with Lydia Blanco on "The Terminal", Paul McKinney on "Yes, Dear", Joan Blair & Barbara Kerr Condon on the soon to be finished "Boppin' at the Glue Factory". Actually, Shelly and I worked together a couple of months ago on a project too.

Erin was calling to inform me that they wanted to book me on the show, but she wanted to double check my quote before she started negotiated. I told her what my quote was for “The O.C.” and that gave her a place to start from.

She called back later with the official booking and to let me know they were not willing to pay more than my day rate, but were willing to meet it. So I got my day rate, which is a little over-scale for two days of work. These days just getting your quote is an accomplishment. Their reasoning was that they don’t have the budget of “The OC” and they are on cable. Ok, we tried.
Just before hanging up Erin confirmed that I was available, and I love this part, at the very end Erin asked, “Are you interested in doing it?” I love that she doesn’t just assume that I want to even do it. I look forward to the day when she really has something to fight for on my behalf.

Thank you CFB Casting; Anya Colloff, Amy McIntyre-Britt and Corbin Bronson. This is the second time Corbin has called me directly for Monk; the last time I was on vacation. Its the 6th time Ive audition for the show. My last theatrical booking was a call directly from the casting director too. I'm really excited to get to work on the show. I booked "Weeds" through CFB Casting exactly one year and two weeks ago.

This part is pretty cool too. I rarely pay my SAG dues before I go on Summer vacation unless I book a job after June 1st. SAG won't usually give you a hard time about dues until June. I figure why pay them almost $500 hundred bucks and then go on vacation for a month? I can be earning a least a little interest on it myself. This job starts May 31st so I should be in the clear.

Maybe I would feel different if my 3 payment claims on 3 different projects were settled. Especially "Hell's Kitchen" starring Mekhi Phifer, Rosanna Arquette William Forsythe and Angelina Jolie. I watched that film play on PPV and HBO forever and never received a dime in residual. Nothing at all. SAG will get their money when I get back in town, unless of course I book again before I leave, which I am trying to do.

10 comments:

Frances Uku said...

Congrats Stephon! Fingers still crossed for your call from Evan Almighty, but Monk'll definitely do in the meantime!

Matt Shields said...

congrats!

matt

Stephon Fuller said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Bonnie said...

Congrats, Stephon! Wait to work that security "issue" into a rockstar audition and then a booking. Definitely, getting over scale on a cable show is worth another "woo hoo!"

Keep on rockin'! You inspire the world, baby!

Angel said...

Yay! Big Congrats Stephon! Very happy for you. At a time when the season is pretty slow...You're doing your thing. Keep it up!

Shenita Moore said...

Congrats Stephon!

- Shenita.

Melissa D. Madison said...

((((HARD SMACK HIGH FIVE)))))

SUH-SWEET!

Moby Dick said...

Getting to the gym may not always be fun, but I feel allot better afterwards!

TanikaBrown said...

Inspiring...as always.

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks everybody!