Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Drops, drops baby! It never seems to stop, but at least gas prices are going down a little – just a little.

I had my fitting for “Criminal Minds” this afternoon. I was in and out in less than 15 minutes. I gotta tell ya, I love working on projects. I can’t believe that I actually have two jobs that I’ve booked but haven’t filmed yet. Hopefully, I can book at least another job before I shoot “Ocean’s Thirteen”. A half-hour, live audience, multi-camera comedy or a commercial would be nice. How about another trip out of the country? THAT would be nice – shoot, I’d gladly settle for New York right now.

So I get home, thinking I’m done for the day and my friend Yoko calls to tell me about an open call from Actor Access for “Sony PlayStation” way out in Glendale until 8pm. Glendale!? I just got gas today; I don’t wanna drive to Glendale. So I check the listing and it says they are looking for 5 males aged 18-25, hip, contemporary, college students. Huh? 18-25? Can I play 25? I don’t know, maybe. Yoko was certain I could play 25. I think I was making excuses not to go – not very smart.

Well, after a moment I figured if I don’t go I definitely won’t book. If I go, maybe I’ll book and I’ll buy Yoko dinner. So I decided to drive to Glendale, but not before I checked my database to see who I needed to drop-off to. I had to figure out the places I could drop after hours. I ended up making a huge loop from Silverlake to Glendale to Encino to Studio City, etc. I definitely pays to know this city like the back of my hand, now I can sleep in tomorrow! That’s good because I know I’ll be up until 4am – at least.

Audition: “Sony PlayStation” @ Michael Silberman/Jennifer Perry Casting, POC.

So I get to the audition and I first got thank Yoko for the tip. The guy running it was just super nice to me. I don’t know why, the girls in attendance were way, way more fun to look at than me. So I’m going over the material and I was just a wreck. For some reason, when I get to a commercial audition and they have TV/Film-like sides I get all weird. In the end it went great!! I used props and my all of my nervous energy and by their reaction to it seemed like I brought something fresh they hadn’t seen before. Oh yeah and one the women running the show asked me about “Ocean’s Thirteen”. Who knows, maybe I’ll get a callback.

4 comments:

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Keith,

As far as having "Ocean's Thirteen" on my resume before shooting. I do that all the time and I don't worry about it in the least. If anyone ask me about it I just tell them I haven't shot it yet as I told the young lady.

I don't know if it's okay as far as what the "rules" are, but I do it. "Criminal Minds" is also on my resume and I don't shoot it until tomorrow.

Don't get me wrong, I could be convinced that I shouldn't do it, but until then.... I see it like this; I've worked at the level in the past of these jobs in question. But that doesn't mean that the next job I get that is a step above these aren't going to go on the resume before shooting. Where's the logic in that? Ha! That the beauty of this business!

Stephon

Shenita Moore said...

I'm so glad SOMEONE got to go that Open Call. I had the info, and even sent it through my mailing list, but somehow I completely forgot about it while up at ABC in Burbank on Tuesday afternoon. I tried in vain to get someone on my cell phone who could get me the info, but by the time I got it, I was half way home!

I hope you book it!

- Shenita.

Anonymous said...

Stephon -

When you do your drops are you doing standard general headshot submission drops or are you dropping based on specific character breakdowns?

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Shenita,

It was after 6:30 when a friend called me about it. I think I'm probably a bit old for the spot, but I'm glad I went anyway.

Anonymous, most of my drops are general headshot or postcard drops. The way I look at it is, I've met a ton of people in casting through workshops. So what I'm really trying to do is jog memories by having my photo or postcard come in out of context. I wanna be considered for those producer sessions where they are just gonna call 5-8 and bring them in.

A lot of stuff isn't posted on The Breakdowns and that is the stuff I don't want to miss out on. My agents submit me I'm sure, but I'm trying to get after the stuff my agents don't know about because it isn't released. That's helps me and them.

I've had quite a few auditions from what I think were from general drops lately. I assume "Criminal Minds" and 'Til Death' was. I cannot be sure, but I think. Sometimes they are specific, but to be honest I've learned to let that go. In my experience the stuff you seem to be PERFECT for you don't get seen for.

There will come a time where I will have change my methods because of the type of roles I'm getting, actually that may be now, but I need to make a living too.

Stephon