Thursday, August 31, 2006

Shooting “Criminal Minds” in Hawthorne. Hurry up and wait was in full effect. I don’t usually have a problem with it because I understand it, but I missed a director session for a lead in a film. That’s the way it goes, but I will definitely try to get rescheduled because I think I’m really right for it.

I arrived on set, which is an old shopping mall that has been closed to the public. I check-in and get to my trailer. I smile when I see my cop uniform wardrobe, lol! Me, as a cop?

Anyway, the waiting begins. After a while we move to the second location where my scene is to be filmed. It is in a hospital in Torrance. On the way there I drove past the location where I shot the “Wrigley’s” commercial on December 7th 2001. That was a good commercial! They split it into two spots and even ran it on the Wrigley’s Jumbotron in New York’s Times Square. I smiled when I thought about that.

My character was a police tech shooting photos of a victim. The lead actors I worked with; Matthew Gray Gubler, Lola Glaudini and Thomas Gibson were very nice and personable. I had a couple of lines and took a lot of photos. I wish I could have kept that camera; it was really nice. I even got to take photos of my friend, fellow actress Tuffet Schmelzle, in another scene.

Me and Tuffet Schmelzle

This was pretty funny. We were shooting in a hospital room and while I was taking photos of the victim the important people (series regulars) enter and talk to the victim. Me and my fellow worker, who was a background artist, leave the room to wait until they are finished. We were just outside of the window, so you could still see us in the shot. Of course we needed to keep it real and whisper things, show her the photos in the viewfinder of the camera or whatever, ya know, make it seem like we are discussing whatever. On one take I leaned over really, really close to her and said, in my best Barry White voice, "What time do you get off". OMG!!!! You should have seen the look on her face. It was priceless! Babygirl was shook!! I don't think it was so much that I said it, it was more that I said it then, in middle of the scene - we were in the background of the scene.I could see that she was a little confused after we cut so I just let it ride for a while. Then, after a couple of more takes, I told her I was just making conversation "within the scene". She just laughed and got a big kick out of that. She was cool to work with.
As usual, they fed us really well. If I was a series regular and ate like that everyday even I would probably gain. I plan to find out one day. So that was it, another great day on-set. I’m a little saddened about missing the film audition, but I guess having a job is a pretty good reason. I’ve been bugging my agents, which is really unlike me, but I really want to go in on this film.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, didn't have any scene with Shemar? Can you say what this eps. is about? I saw on TV.com it like the 5th one. they filmed that many already? As an actor, what school did you attend? I want to write screenplays. I have a pretty good concept for a movie, maybe TV movie, but I don't know how to go about it. Should I be looking at old movie scripts? You like alright in that uniform by the way.

Stephon Fuller said...

No, I didn't have a scene with Shemar.

I'd rather not say anything about the storyline, sorry.

Yes, it is the 5th episode of the season. That doesn't necessarily mean it will air in that order though. Sometimes they change it up.

I attended various acting schools in Virginia Beach, New York and Los Angeles.

I know a tremndous amount about getting into the acting business, but not so much about writing. I would say write, write, write and get in a good class. Pick up some books, learn the structure of a screnplay and yeah reading scripts should help too.

Thanks for the uniform compliment.

Stephon