Saturday, February 03, 2007

This blog completely blows my mind sometimes. I mean, I’m not a writer in the traditional sense. Even today I’m concerned by how my grammar and text flows. This bio/blog is more words than I wrote the ENTIRE time I was in grade school. When I started it I had no idea I would be read as widely as it is – however wide that is. Obviously, I knew I was putting it on the WORLD WIDE WEB, but still, I didn’t think it would turn into what it has. The consultation session I had yesterday stemmed from the young performers mother finding my writing from many, many states away and urging her daughter to book a session with me. Really? Wow!

Several days ago I got an email from a New York Casting Director that said this:
==========

Hi Stephon,

I found your blog while googling Xxxxxxx Xxxx and I'm hoping you have contact info for her as I'm trying to get her in for an audition! If you are still in touch with her would you let her know I am trying to get ahold of her:

Xxxxxx Xxxxx
Xxxxx/Xxxxxxxxx Casting
XXX Ninth Avenue
Suite XXXX
New York, NY 10036

212.123.4567 Tel
212.123.4567 Fax

Or if you feel comfortable giving me her number that would be great too...her SAG and AEA info is outdated.

Many thanks in advance for your help!

All the best,

Xxxxxx Xxxxx
==========

WHAT?!?!?! The actress she was looking for is someone I waited tables with 12 years ago at The Harley-Davidson Café in New York. The reason I wrote about her in my blog was because one of many times I was back in New York I went to see her in a play – actually I think I’ve seen her twice on stage while back in the City. I had a number for her and left a message, but I wasn’t sure how current it was because I hadn’t spoken to this actress in 3 or so years. So I called another New York friend her in LA to get a more current number and left another message. I then called the Casting Director to let her know that she should be hearing from the actress soon. The actress got the message and was thrilled to have gotten the info in a timely manner. I thought that was pretty cool.

On another note, I just found out that my friend, Lydia Blanco, just booked a guest lead in a pilot and is going to Vancouver for 10 days. How cool is that? I remember meeting Lydia when she got to town not to many years ago and was non-union. We have some conversations about who I felt was the single most important casting director to know in this town and it didn’t take too long for her to become SAG - through that very person. So much has happened for her since then. We both worked on “Good Morning, Miami” and “The Terminal”. One of these days I’m going to get to work in Vancouver; I hear it’s beautiful. Reminds me that I need to get my passport renewed Go Lydia!!

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks Stephon! I know! That whole passport thing has been crazy, because I never got my first one! So that's what I'm doing today - trying to get a rush one.... Yikes! Lesson learned!

Anonymous said...

And a good reminder to everyone to keep their union info current! (esp. during pilot season!!!!)

CP said...

Wheels within wheels...The world is even smaller now than it used to be thanks to the WWW. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Lydia,

Good luck with the passport. I had to do the same thing in New York when I went to Spain. Have a great time!

Yes, anonymous you are so right. We have to make sure we are reachable.

Yup CP! The world is smaller and getting smaller all the time it seems. You're welcomed for the sharing!

stephon

Erin Murphy said...

Hi Stephon-
I'm one of your "anonymous" readers. I found your blog months ago when I googled a casting director I was meeting with. Now I'm a regular reader!
Erin

Stephon Fuller said...

Erin! You're a star! Thanks for checking in and dropping a note.

Stephon