Friday, March 16, 2007

I gotta tell ya; faith is a beautiful thing. I say that because today is the birthday of something green. Not "green" as in "cash"; green as in "cash money" aka "the green hornet" also known as my '98 Honda Accord Coupe.

Yup, it was 3 years ago today that I brought her home. My previous Honda, an '89 Accord, carried me 231,223.4 miles and was in serious need of rest, relaxation, rehabilitation and a new beginning with a new family.

I held out so long because she was getting the job done, I ain't no baller AND she had been paid off long ago. Plus I detested the thought of a car payment, but the situation was starting to be a serious drag on me in several ways. My driver-side door wouldn't open from the outside, the A/C wasn't working and it often ran hot among other things. Fortunately, I was still able to listen to my AM Talk Radio stations; without AM Talk I might have abandoned ship much sooner.

So I HAD to do something. The problem was that a couple hundred dollars in car payments was not at all in the budget...at all. I was running a really tight ship financially, but without a decent car in LA my ship was sure to capsize and THAT was not an option.

This is where faith really showed itself; I decided to go to SAG-AFTRA Federal Credit Union and get a loan to get a car. I was immediately approved and found the perfect, used vehicle within days. The only problem was I had no idea how I was going to pay for it…I mean not even the first payment; it just wasn't in the budget

I thought I'd have 45 days until the first payment was due, because that how it was with my last car. I soon found out that I only had 30 days....30 days to figure out how I was going to make this happen and 60 days until payment #2….90 days until #3 and so on…

It's funny how things usually work out if you give them a chance. I don't mean everything in my life, but a lot of things. I'm proud to say that I've been able to make each and every payment on time....and it’s almost paid off.

Audition: “Lowe’s” @ Craig Colvin Casting. This was fun; there was more dialogue than usual with a bit of improv thrown in. My partner and I bounced things off of each other nicely.

Later one of my theatrical agents called with an appointment for a small co-star on an AFTRA show. I'm still not a fan of the whole AFTRA dealio, although I know that one day I'll probably have to bite the bullet and join - that day ain't today.

My agent didn't feel it was a good idea for me to audition for it. I agreed and passed without too much of a thought. Saying no to the wrong stuff is becoming easier and easier - I think that is a sign of growth.

I also never forgot how great it is that I get to actually have conversations with my representatives about these "what to do and what not do" things. I know it sounds simple "in theory", but "in practice" most actors aren't so fortunate - Thanks Caleigh, Alicia, Donn, Rose, Erin, Brooke, Marie, David, Josh, Steven, Jenny and Steve - you gals and guys rock!

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

No comments: