Wednesday, September 19, 2007



Shooting: “Bones” @ 20th Century Fox Studios. I’ve worked on most of the studio lots in town, but this is the first time I’ve worked at Fox. I’ve booked on the lot in the past, but never actually filmed here.

I arrived at Stage 9 at 9am this morning and by 9:07 I was already trying on wardrobe choices for the director. It seems like the only time I get to dress really nice is when I’m working on a project! That needs to change. I’m not into labels but I do like nice quality clothing that fit me correctly. Then it was back to my trailer. Since I was the only one working besides the series regulars and major recurring players; I had a pretty nice set up. The trailer wasn’t all that large, but it was very nice and comfortable.

After a while they directed me to the hair and make-up trailer to be wigged and bearded. I was blown away by the results. I called Caleigh and couldn’t stop laughing while explaining my wig and beard to her. So, after the photographer took my photos it was “hurry up and wait”…and wait…and wait. Before they took my wig off I walked down to the casting office to show them my look. I entered the office and the two associates had no idea who I was...at all. Actually, there was a split second of weirdness until they heard my voice; that’s when they recognized me. Then they called out to the casting director and he really had no idea who I was, but was equally fascinated with my look – funny.

I also got some new assessments of my age range. In the right situation I can play mid-20’s to early 40’s without a problem – this booking proves it.

Hours later my agent called with an audition for tomorrow. It was a co-star, but she had a strategy for me going in on it after checking her records of when I last read at this office. The last time they called with an audition I passed on it – plus there was some other confusion. I liked her strategy so I agreed to go, plus I had dropped off at that office just a few days ago. I really want to get on either of their shows, plus they always have pilots.

Still in my trailer and a couple of hours away from shooting I start snooping around the set to watch the filming that was going on. When you are on a set for any length of time you can tell who is new. One of the PA’s saw me for the first time kinda looking for a comfortable place to watch the filming. He asked if I was “finding everything okay”, but he asked me in guarded sorta manner. Not at all disrespectful, but in a way that he knew I wasn’t around every week or for the entire episode. I responded that “I was just watching and I think my scene was up next”. Immediately everything changed. I told him I was playing “Darwin Banks” and right away he said “Great! Have you seen where we are shooting your scene?” I responded “No” and he offered to take me there so I could “get into the space”. Then he gave me a tour of the entire Stage 9 and even took me over to their other stage – Stage 6 and gave me a tour of that one too. It’s an incredible space.

He ended up really looking out for me for the rest of the evening – making sure I always had a place to sit and water while watching the scene previous to mine being shot. He introduced me to the writers and other actors working. I had a nice conversation with recurring character John Francis Daley about karate and motocross. I was also re-introduced to director Chad Lowe. It was great to watch the previous scene to get a feel of how the director and series lead David Boreanaz worked so I knew a little of what to expect.

I had already been to the room where my scene was to take place, but when David got there he didn’t like it and wanted to move to a different place to shoot. I happened to agree that they way the scene was written it didn’t really make sense that it would be shot in that specific room – I even voiced my opinion and supported David. So after some back and forth Chad agreed to move it to where David, who is also a producer, wanted it to be shot.

We did a couple of first team rehearsals and the scene took shape. Second team came in for camera set-up and lighting and we came back and put it together. Chad, being an actor, wasn’t shy about communicating with us and was very complimentary. I didn’t like one of the lines they had changed during re-writes and told the script supervisor that it didn’t make sense for me – so I dropped it and said it like I did in the audition.

So I wrapped after 13 ½ hours and was on my way. But not before signing out and returning my wardrobe to the wardrobe trailer myself. It seems that I am the only actor in Los Angeles that does that. The AD’s are always pleasantly surprised by that. I think I started doing that when I was on “Good Morning, Miami”. I just don’t want anyone to come in my trailer and there is stuff everywhere. I can’t promise I’ll always return my wardrobe in person, but I’ll always be a team player and respect the other departments that make me look my best.

Finally, on my way home to prepare for tomorrow’s audition and a marathon session as a reader for a film.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html

5 comments:

Frances Uku said...

ok, i just did a spit-take...i would never have recognized you in a million years stephon, this pic is bananas! congrats on yet another awesome gig and you know uku will be cheering for you when it airs...

Hollie Nell said...

Congratulations on "Bones" and on the guest star billing! So exciting. Not to mention they transformed you. Can't wait to see the episode. I love reading your blog and seeing how hard work pays off. Keep it up!

Stephon Fuller said...

Thanks you two!

Stephon

Anonymous said...

Amazing transformation! Congrats.....you know I am always so proud!
:)
xo kb

Lipp said...

Superfly