Tuesday, February 19, 2008

For years I’ve had this thing where I try to keep my schedule as full as possible. Just always into something productive; it could be a movie, a workshop, a class, a panel, virtually anything. Lately, I’ve been shifting that a little; still staying busy, but doing different things. One of them is learning to network better. I don’t know if I will ever learn that but I’m giving it an honest shot. Other things are reading, writing, riding my mountain bike and the biggest thing is taking ownership of what I have to offer this world…however much or little that is.

I’ve been attending some of the union meetings at SAG to become a more informed actor. So last week I was checking the schedule for this week’s union meetings and there was a conflict with a SAG LifeRaft event that I had already RSVP’d to attend. So I had to make a decision on which one I was going to attend – I hate that. I’m an information junkie and I need my fix – I didn’t want to choose. At that point, for the first time, I took a closer look at exactly what the topic of the seminar was. Usually, I’ll just attend them all because there is always something I can learn. Well, the title of the conflicting one was a SAG Foundation LifeRaft event titled - “When Actors Decide to Quit Their Day Jobs!”. I literally asked myself out loud, “Why aren’t I on that panel?” I mean seriously, I’m an actor that decided to quit my day job; I prefer to say “resign” for some reason.

So I thought about it for a moment and got really nervous. Yes, I have spoken before to groups of actors, but it’s always been at events I was asked to participate in. This would be the first time I asked to be on a panel. My heart was beating a mile a minute. I don’t know why, but I get insanely nervous about things like this. In the end, I’m usually able to handle it well because I’m pretty good at putting on my game face and handling things when the time comes.

So I decided that “Yes!” in ’08 I’m going to go forward with it and take ownership of what I have to share. My story is as valid as anyone else’s and everyone else’s story is as valid as mine. I feel as though I’ll be telling every actors story of deciding to quit their day job make a go of it.

It’s incredible how nervous I am right now just writing about the possibility of being on the panel. What would they say about me? How would I be introduced? I mean, it’s easy for me to sit behind the keyboard post stuff on my blog, but this is different. I don’t know. I’ve been interviewed for the newspaper in my hometown a few times and that hasn’t been the greatest experience. They just get the story wrong; not anything malicious, but wrong nonetheless.

After sitting on it for a bit I decided to go forward and try to find who is organizing the event to see if I’m a good fit for the topic being discussed. I left a message for the organizer and a few days later I was contacted and asked to submit a few things about how I left my day job so they could get an idea of who the heck I was. The next day I got the news that I would be perfect for the panel. I guess I’m committed now! I feel good about it; I think I’m doing the right thing. Hopefully, I’ll be much less nervous by Wednesday night. It’s just the very beginning and the time before the very beginning – like now. Once it’s starts and I warm up I’m fine.

Audition: “Breyer’s” @ Ross Lacy Casting.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

6 comments:

Emory Rundle said...

It sounds like a good panel to go see. Can people that are not in SAG go to it?

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Emory,

I'm sorry, but I believe you have to be a SAG member to attend.

Stephon

Pam said...

Bravo Stephon. Congrats on pushing your comfort envelope. Just pretend you are talking to all of us blog followers!

Amada Anderson said...

Hey, Good Luck!

Stephon Fuller said...

It ended up going really well I think. Thanks!

stephon

Unknown said...

Oh, good, I'm so glad to read that it went well! Thought it would, but glad to read it nonetheless.