Friday, September 12, 2008

Another overnight shift last night. I gotta tell ya; this overnight stuff is BRUTAL and I DO NOT recommend it. It’s just so hard to get the amount of rest that I really need; not that I got the proper amount of rest before I started working there, but still.

Anyway, I had a commercial audition scheduled for 12:30pm. I figured I’d get in the bed by 8:30am, wake up @ 11:30am, shower and make my way to the Valley. Lo and behold, just as I was preparing to go to bed my phone rings at 9:14am. It was a number I didn’t recognize so I let it go to voicemail. The call was from a casting office asking if I would come in to audition by 11am. I called back and told them I would be there and then e-mailed my agent to give her the info as well.

This was the same office, same show and same episode of the audition that was cancelled 2 days ago. Multi-camera shows have way more rewrites than single-camera comedies and one-hour dramas.

When I arrived at the audition I saw several people I knew; some of which I’d work with in the past and some I hadn’t seen in some time. I’ve been keeping a low profile for most of the year which has been working out really well for me, but it was great to see some of actors that I’ve been in the game with for years. One person was Lydia Blanco who recently tested at the studio and network level for a pilot. Lydia and I worked together in “The Terminal”.

Audition/Producers/Tape: “Do Not Disturb” @ Greenstein/Daniel Casting. The role was that of a reporter and everyone I saw looked right for the job – including me. It went pretty good in the room; I’ve had better, but it was good. The woman, who I assume was the writer, offered some feedback; I did it again and was on my way. It is known that, especially, in half-hour comedy it’s really important to stick to the script. I had a little something I wanted to add, but not in a “oh I added this because I thought it would make it better” sense.

I added it in a down-low type of way – under my breath and to myself, but loud enough for writer and casting directors to hear me. I did it in the same way I added a line while working with Steven Spielberg and Tom Hanks on “The Terminal”. It was just kinda a natural next thing that this character might say. It seemed to go over well enough. So that was that - we’ll see. I should hear something (or not) soon because today is Friday and I believe it starts Monday for a live audience shoot on Tuesday. With that I was on my way to my commercial audition.

Audition: “Hardee’s/Carl’s Jr.” @ Francene Selkirk Casting. I must admit I was really, really tired for this audition – I worked all night and hadn’t slept at all. That isn’t the reason why I sucked in it, but still, LOL! It was pretty simple, but I just couldn’t get it right. BUT!! I think I’m really right for it; so maybe I’ll get a callback despite dropping a bomb in the room – hey, it happens.

Two hours later at 2:49pm my agent called me to tell me that I’m “the choice” for one of the reporters for “Do Not Disturb”. They just needed to make sure it was going to stay in the script before making the official offer and that I was available and interested. Cool!

Then at 4:04pm my agent called with the offer of the 2 days of work. So I accepted the terms and that was that. I must admit that I was expecting more in the way of “’da Benjamins” and considered doing a “no quote”, but after talking to my agent about it figured that it was worth the trouble for this type of booking.

I am really looking forward to working on a multi-camera show in front of a live audience. It’s been 3 years since I done it and there are only a handful of those types of show currently on the air.

Later I was e-mailed the script and the co-writer of this episode is, Kirk Rudell, Kirk was a writer/supervising producer on “Good Morning, Miami”. Maybe the 12 episodes (really 14 episodes) that are listed on my resume worked in my favor – who knows.

The neat thing is in this business you really never where the day is going to take you. I had one appointment scheduled today and ended with 2 appointments and a booking. It also tells me why I’ve always included my direct contact info on my resumes. I was called directly for this job. Who knows, the casting assistant could have stopped trying to reach me after not getting my agency on the phone because they weren’t open yet. We wouldn’t even have known I was being considered if she chose to just go “NEXT” on the list.

Oh yeah, I forgot to say that I am thrilled again that this show is under a SAG contract and not AFTRA.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/consultations.html
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hRX79E75yA
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vMXinr1N9w

5 comments:

Emory Rundle said...

Late nights can really drain you. I did it while going to school, and some days it was hard. I hope that I don't have to do things like that again, but you never know what life will bring you. Congrats on your booking.

Unknown said...

WOW! Congrats Stephon! I figured if I didn't hear anything by last afternoon on Friday - I was sure you did! hahaha

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Emory, you are so right about working overnights. It's really tough and not at all normal. But you do whatcha gotta do. Thanks for the congrats!

Lydia, what are you talking about? I'm trying to keep up with YOU - Ms. Book-a-lot.

No, seriously it was great to see you there. We've been in the game for a minute and I see wonderful things in our futures.

Thanks! Have a great week!

schwammy said...

Congratulations! I guess your agent is okay with including your direct contact on your resume? I was told not to do that, but it makes sense.

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey Al,

I don't know that my agents are directly aware that I have my direct contact info on my resumes; I don't put it on the resumes I give to them. I don't think they would be alarmed about it from me; they know we are a team and I'm working for the greater good of all of us.

Stephon