Friday, November 21, 2008

Well it’s tomorrow. Today is when my agent should call with, hopefully the official booking for “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles”. Of course I was asleep when she called; I was totally beat from working last night.

So I checked the voicemail and it was my agent Caleigh saying to call her. This didn’t feel quite right. I mean of course she wanted me to call her, but I could tell by the sound of her voice that something interesting had taken place. “What now?” I wondered.

So I dial up and she answers that she has some interesting news. A large part of me knew what was coming because I thought about it last night. There was no question that the producers, director, writers and casting wanted to hire me for this job, but there was one little fly in my soup.

It’s funny because in all my years doing CD workshops I would naturally ask questions that most didn’t ask and some didn’t understand why I would ask in the first place. Occasionally actors would ask me afterwards exactly what I meant by the question and, of course, I would explain…in great detail.

I have written at length in the past about how booking the job is not always enough. I’ve experience this several times first-hand. Being the “first choice” of the writers, producer, director isn’t always enough either. If anyone knows this it’s me. These situations have cost me dearly in cold, hard cash and funding for SAG P&H and of course credits on my resume.

On the other hand these experiences are a big part of what makes me an excellent consultant on the business of the acting business. I can speak on these sorta rare situations from a direct point-of-view. Even though things don’t always go my way I take the experience in stride – even a smile.

Back to the fly in my soup - that fly was a fox as in FOX: the Network. Yup, FOX: the Network wouldn’t/couldn’t approve me to work on “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles”. First “Cheetos” and now FOX. Hey, at least people in this town know I exist.

The exact reason was that the episode of “Dollhouse” I shot in August is scheduled to air in the same week of January that “Sarah Connor” is scheduled to air. Can you believe that? I didn’t book this because I’d had booked another job. What luck I have.

2008 has been a doozy for me. It’s hasn’t been bad; extremely challenging at times, but quite productive. I had hoped things would be very different, but the reality has been good to great in a few ways.

This evening I dropped by the casting office to thank them for thinking of me and again giving me the opportunity to work in this business. They had very kind words for me and assured me that the creative team really wanted to hire me and that there will be many more opportunities in the future.

I keep all my agents abreast of what is happening in my career so I emailed one of my commercial agents; the one that handled the “Cheetos” booking/unbooking and she responded in part with this “Welcome to the big leagues where you are in conflict with your own perfomance...”. Wow, I just loved the sound of that; especially coming from a partner of a very important agency on both coast.

So there you have it; a great day in a very interesting way. It’s not over though. There are still several weeks left to make things happen in 2008. Traditionally this time of the year is pretty busy for me; so I will keep fighting the good fight until the end.

Lastly, another funny thing that’s been happening at work. Lately, several guests have recognized me from some of my past work. That just blows my mind; one person specifically remembered me from my first episode of “Frasier” – I could hardly believe that, but he described the scenes I was in. I guess I’m making at least a little progress in the biz…even though I won’t be working on “Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles” on Tuesday.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, that sucks and rocks at the same time. Thank you for sharing and for the insight.

Patti Ann said...

hey i just wanted to say it's so encouraging and motivating to read your blog and see how often you audition. it's good to be reminded that every little bit helps. = )

B Soun said...

Hey Stephon. I stumbled upon your website when I was googling KSR print. I was trying to find out more information about them and what other actors thought about them. I just signed with them commercially and through print and I've already started to get commercial auditions.

Then I began reading your blog and I usually hate actors complaining about his or her life, but it was really intriguing to read your perspective on the biz. Not only do you work very diligently (in your acting and in your side job), but you continue to maintain a positive yet realistic perspective.

I find that many actors disservice themselves by wishing for things instead of doing things or getting too caught up in their side job. It's an easy, vicious circle to fall into. But you definitely have the right mentality.

My circle of friends are all recently graduated from theatre school, so we all still have a newness to how our lives should be. I admit though our youth oftentimes becomes an easy excuse for inaction. However, when I think about my future I often wonder what life is like for the actor that has been in LA for a while, yet isn't quite theatrically working full-time, but still has a vibrant life full of auditions. You represent a possibility for young actors. Your career is admirable, yet not frequently written about. Basically for me, a person that is so impatient and wants it all, it reassures me that there are many ways an actor can achieve longevity and success in this business. Although you still want to achieve more in your career, I feel your life thus far has been quite successful and I only hope that my career somewhat resembles yours with all its ups and even its downs.

You have learned so much from your journey and I thank you for sharing it with all of us, so that we may learn as well.

I wish you continued success and I look forward to reading more about your journey.

Sincerely,

Brian Sounalath

Stephon Fuller said...

Hey you all, thank you so much for the kind words I really appreciate it.

Brian, welcome to the KSR family! It's been a great to be for a decade for me.

Good luck!

Stephon