Sunday, March 01, 2009

It’s 5:15 in the morning and I’m getting in the shower to prepare for my trip to New York. I didn’t get in the bed until 4:45 so I’m dragging a little. I have to learn to sleep more! I want to sleep more; I’m just always doing something. The car service to LAX, provided by the production company, calls at 5:45 for a 6am pickup to let me know they are downstairs waiting.

There were a few construction detours on the way to LAX and I guess the driver was trying to make up for lost time. By the time I got to the airport I was nauseous from being tossed around in the back – ugh! Lots of jack-rabbit starts, quick stops and swerving left to right is no fun in the back seat of a Lincoln Town Car.

With the exceptions of going through security and customs I really enjoy flying and being at the airport – especially flying for free. I’m a people watcher that’s generally more comfortable watching people than being watched by people and airports are great for people watching.

So I get checked in and, to my surprise, learn that I don’t have to pay the $15 for my checked bag because I’m flying first-class – cool, saves me $30. I was aware that the East Coast had a was due for bit of weather, but the gentleman sitting next to me said New York could get a up to 12 inches of snow. This was really good news. Other than skiing/snowboarding I hadn’t been in snow for a long time so I welcomed the inclement weather.

We landed at JFK about 20 minutes early, but waited 45 minutes on the tarmac for a plane to clear our gate; then another 45 minutes to get our bags. The car service called as soon as I landed to let me know they were on time, but I told them it was going to be a while. I was hoping the driver wouldn’t leave but I guess delays are a part of what they do.

I guess this is my ride!

I finally got to my hotel, The W - Lexington & 49th, as the snow flurries began to fall. It was great! After getting settled I put on my winter coat and went for a walk around my old stomping grounds as the flurries turned to snow.

Sixth Ave & 50th

Walking through Times Square was a really neat thing because I used to live in the neighborhood when I first moved to the city; 450 W 46th St. between 9th & 10th in Hell’s Kitchen. I used to walk through Times Square on my way to walk everyday.

I remember Times Square seeming so crazy and insane 14 years ago. I also remember the open air drug market, in the park ‘round ‘da way on my street; and the prostitutes, LOL! Wow, it was a little much for a youngster from the suburbs of Virginia Beach, but I handled it well. I would walk through Times Square at 2am on my way home from work vowing to one day make sense of it all. By that, I mean not feeling so overwhelmed by the City.

Truthfully, I didn’t have time to be overwhelmed because I moved to New York with $200 to my name. I had to hit the streets to make it happen or go to Plan B. Plan B was also to make it happen. Besides, how overwhelmed could I be making $3 an hour plus tips? Mo money, Mo problems. No money, No problems. I didn’t have any problems.


I remember back in 2002 seeing myself in a commercial on the Wrigley's Jumbotron in Times Square. I was so excited about that; especially that I only found out because a fellow actor saw it and called to tell me about it. So being back in NYC for work is a dream come true and I expect to do it many more times in the future.


Me in front of me on big screen - 2002
Anyway, my frigid self made it back to the hotel to get rested for a 6:30 pick-up to take me to the location.

http://www.stephonfuller.com/

No comments: