Monday, March 02, 2009

My 6:30 pick-up to take me to the location in Brooklyn at the Brooklyn Stages was running late due to snowy road conditions. It was FREEZING; I mean colder than I've been in years. We got about 8 inches of snow and it was in the 20’s temperature-wise.

I arrive on set, get set-up in my room, order an omelette and right away I'm called to wardrobe. This part trips me out every time it happens. Within 30 seconds of entering the wardrobe room with 3 women I've never met I've stripped down to my underwear. There aren’t places a man could pull that off in “real life” without getting arrested.

It’s really weird because I’ve always been very self-conscious about my body. Just like I was when I decided to wear a tank-top in the audition. I was self-conscious then too, but I wanted the job and was fortunately able to not be “self-aware”.

I’m a small, slight dude; always have been. So, of course, growing up I was constantly reminded how skinny I was and that I had a bird chest – ya know, all things kids say. The saving grace was I was a bad mofo on my BMX bike. Hells yeah!! Haha!

Just last week I was getting a new battery put in my watch and the jeweler thought the watch was for a woman. What? So I have skinny wrist. Leave my a** alone! Stop abusing me, LOL! Don’t get me started on my little ears….whatever.

So, Melissa, the wardrobe lady gives me 8-10 different tops and pants to try on – including a my own tank top and boxer shorts. I was really, REALLY hoping that I wasn’t going to be on national television wearing a tank top and boxers.

So I’m chilling in my room and the moment of truth comes. It’s Melissa with my approved wardrobe and you guessed it – they chose my own tank-top from the audition and boxer shorts. Why?!?! A few minutes later she came back with these super-duper-slim-sorta-lyrcra like booty-ass shorts for me to wear under the boxers. I’m like, “What the heck are these?” Are they for my wife? I mean I was already wearing black briefs under the boxers.

At this point I had to put my game face on. The choice had been made for me to be in shorts and a tank so I had to suck it up and be strong. I was ready to protest and go commando and shit, but thought that might not be a good decision. I’m just kidding – sorta. In the end; I decided to keep my briefs on and wear the super-duper-slim-sorta-lyrcra like booty-ass shorts over my briefs.

Me wearing super-duper-slim-sorta-lyrcra like booty-ass shorts-they even let me keep them.

Can I talk about my wife in the spot? I was so curious as to who my wife would be. I could have just asked production, but I decided to wait and be surprised. I was looking around on the plane, but figured she could be based in New York. Sure enough, she is based in Brooklyn. She is: Broadway Actress-Singer–Songwriter-Musician-Playwright-Harvard Grad and all-around cool sista Eisa Davis! How did I get so lucky to share the stage with this one? My blessings continue…

The Director, David Shane from New York-based production house O Positive, was a complete pleasure to work with too - an actor’s director. Instead of saying “Action!”; he actually said “Acting”. How cool is that?

Usually, as actors, we hear very little about the behind the scenes part unless we book and even then you may not hear much. They were auditioning for this series of spots in New York, Los Angeles and Chicago. I only auditioned once, but everyone else I spoke with went in 2, 3 even 4 times. It’s always fascinating to me as to how these things come together.

We did take after take. After take after take. I think we did more takes than all of my other commercials combined. Some of that may have to do with the fact that we were shooting on video instead of film. I hope they got what they needed to make it right…I think they did. Most of it was Eisa and I sitting next to each other on the bed, but there was another part that was a little…more interesting.

So there I was in a tank top and boxers; her in a little – ya know the little things women wear to bed that they look oh so fine in. I’m sorry I just love women…they’re just cool…and most everything about them.

Anyway, we are lying in bed as husband and wife and it’s just weird, fun, but weird, but that‘s the gig as an actor…thankfully, lol! Me, the skinny bird-chested brotha, with the wrists of a woman never expected to get acting work and be less than fully dressed. So it’s a real head trip for me. In the WaMu spot I felt that I was a little bit on display physically too. It kinda makes me feel that I should take going to the gym and staying in shape a little more serious.

I’ve been asked what it’s like to be in a bed scene with a woman. Of course the first question is “Is it exciting?” LOL! Sure, it’s exciting, but not THAT kind of exciting. I mean, I’m a professional and it’s important for your partner to be able to be professional as well. BUT with that said, I can see how things…enough. I’ve only done it one other time; meaning a scene in the bed with a woman – a revisit.

Eisa and I were wrapped, had lunch with the crew and I was taken back to Manhattan. I was completely exhausted, maybe a little jet-lagged and collapse in my hotel room. I woke up later and walked around the City and got on the subway to explore.

51st & Lex on the 6

http://www.stephonfuller.com/

No comments: