Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Happy Anniversary to me! 17 years ago, on Wednesday September 22nd 1993 @ 7:30pm in Virginia Beach, VA I took my first acting class and embarked on a very, VERY interesting and difficult journey. Sometimes, oftentimes, I think a lot has happened in those 6209 days, other times, occasionally, I'm not so sure.

Hold up! Of course I’m sure! I just don’t think about it in those terms on a regular, basis. So I’m going to take a moment, and revisit some of the experiences I’ve had as a professional performer. I hope it doesn’t come off as me being full of myself…here it goes:

Member of the Screen Actor’s Guild (SAG).

Had the same, effective theatrical & commercial representation for 12+ years.

Had my first audition in Los Angeles just 12 hours after arriving from New York.

Had 3 commercial auditions and 3 callbacks my first week in Los Angeles.

Had a period of 7 years that I solely made a living & filed taxes as an actor…took vacations too!

Have traveled to Washington, DC, Miami, New York, Japan & Spain as a performer.

Booked a national commercial and was “unbooked” just before the fitting.

Have performed onstage at the Kennedy Center.

Was cast in Ocean’s Twelve by director Steven Soderbergh & CD Debra Zane, but the scene was cut before filming.

Was also cast in Ocean’s Thirteen by director Steven Soderbergh & CD Debra Zane, but this time had to pull out the film, and a scene with Al Pacino, because of a commercial booking…I was later edited out of the commercial.

Have worked with several directors who are very highly regarded in their field – Film, Steven Spielberg. TV Comedy James Burrows. Commercials, Joe Pytka.

Have qualified for Health benefits every year since becoming a member of SAG.

Have become a vested member of SAG which awards me with a pension at retirement.

Have been featured on the cover of Backstage magazine.

Have been featured on National Public Radio (NPR) in a piece on the casting process with Casting Director Debra Zane.

Have been featured in “Self-Management for Actors: Getting Down to (Show) Business” By Bonnie Gillespie & “Acting Q’s: Conversations with Working Actors” also by Bonnie Gillespie & Actor/Author Blake Robbins.

Have learned a lot about how the casting process work…maybe too much.

I moved to New York with $200 in my pocket, no job…shared a bed in the Hell’s Kitchen area of Manhattan…with a guy…for 4 months.

Have been featured on the Wrigley’s Jumbotron in New York’s Times Square.

Have been interviewed on the New York-based EverythingActingPodcast.

…umm. I just got “wide-open” with the “me” stuff. On the one hand I feel like I should apologize for laying it on so thick, but on the other hand “it is what it is”…it’s all true and verifiable. Plus, I’m really proud of what I’ve accomplished in a notoriously difficult business. No, I’m not exactly where I want to be in my acting career, especially the working in a restaurant part, but I’ve usually been able to make the best of most situations I’ve found myself in.

http://www.stephonfuller.com

2 comments:

Laurel said...

I think this list is great! It's so easy to focus on what we still want or don't have yet, and forget to appreciate the amazing things we do have and have done!

Stephon Fuller said...

Thank you Laurel!