Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Remember that Valium from last night? I’m backing it up with another one this morning just before getting to the dentist. Well, I would say that there is a “wrinkle” in my plans today, but I don’t consider a commercial audition a “wrinkle”. It’s just something that I have to figure out how to fit in.

I’m scheduled to be in the dentist chair from 8:00am until 10:45am. My audition is scheduled for 11:30am. On the surface it sounds like “perfect timing”.

Well, here is where it gets…interesting. I was still in the dentist chair and being worked on @ 11:15. Yesterday, in talking to my agency, I got word that casting would see me as late as 1pm. I got out of the chair at about 11:45am. There was no way I could go straight to the audition because I was a little woozy, plus my face was really numb…I couldn’t feel my face! So I sat in the dentist lobby for about 20 minutes to gather my wits and get myself together. The Novocain was still working so I wasn’t feeling any pain…at least not yet. Oh yeah, I had them call in a prescription of Vicodin for the expected discomfort later.

I was killing time in my car until about 12:50pm because I needed to wait until my lips were no longer numb…just in case I needed to slate my name…or smile, LOL!

Audition: “Safeway” @ broad-cast casting. I arrived at the casting office, signed-in, got a group explanation, waited my turn and was in and out in a jiffy. There wasn’t any dialogue, but I was able to flash my new smile a few times. By the time I got back to my car I could feel that the effects of the Novocain was almost completely gone.

And the pain was knocking at the door; then the pain starting kicking at the door.

One hour later, after getting back to my apartment, I was on my bed, drooling, in tears and writhing in pain…in a fetal position. I was in so much pain I could hardly think. I’d had become used being in a bit of pain and discomfort from the many procedures prior, but this was different. I took a Motrin 600. I called the dentist and Costco to see if the prescription was ready to be picked up. It wasn’t, but they said it would be by the time I arrived. I could barely talk and almost, completely broke out in tears. I got off of my bed and tried to figure out if I could even get to Costco. Five minutes later I was on the floor in my living room…again, writhing in pain.

A little while later I was able to focus and maybe the Motrin was kicking in. I put my big boy pants on and made trek to Costco to pick up the “script”. I like saying “script” for “prescription”. Sounds edgy. Anyway, I arrived @ Costco, got the drugs, went back to my car where my water was and swallowed one of the oval, white pills.

While sitting in the car my phone rang and it was my night job. The likely reason they are calling on my night off is because they, for some reason, need me to work tonight. I didn’t answer the call, but listening to the message confirmed my suspicion. I’ve been working there for 3 years and have never once called in sick and have become the “go to guy” for covering other people’s graveyard shifts.

I was thinking that there was NO WAY I could work tonight; I’m in just too much pain. I didn’t return the call right away, but believe it or not, by the time I drove back to West Hollywood from Burbank I felt much, much better. The Vicodin was doing what Vicodin does.

I arrived back at my apartment, got in bed and figured that…maybe I could work tonight. Honestly, with the amount of money I’ve spent, correction, invested in myself over the last month at the dentist I don’t need to be turning down chances to earn money. So I thought about it for a bit further and called the job to say that, yes, I would fill-in for a sick co-worker.

Am I crazy? I don’t know, maybe, probably. It just takes a lot to keep me down. The medication worked its magic and I was able to cover the shift without any problems whatsoever. I was a trooper today; a real trooper.

==

Life on the Sunset Strip…

Her: Do you have Dr. Pepper?

Server: I'm sorry we don't.

Her: Diet Dr. Pepper?

Server: We are you all from?

Her: How about Tab?

Server: ....


Her: Didn't think so...just thought I'd ask. Know one seems to have it here.

Server: I like your accent.

Her: Diet Tab?

Server: Umm...Diet Tab? Let me go check...

==

http://www.stephonfuller.com

No comments: